tiger dashboard and konfabulator

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
hi

just a thought - doesn't
tiger dashboard and konfabulator
look the same?

wonder if knfabulator got paid for this?

my tuppence worth.

regards :p

M

meltbanana314

Konfabulator and Dashboard are both modern versions of Apple's "Desktop Accessories" program which is older than I am.

Why would the Konfab guys get paid anything when it wasn't their idea in the first place?

J

Jefe3223

There was s big fight over this. Konfab reallized what had happened, was po'd. They complained for both money and an appology. They got niether. They complained for an appology only and got shut down again. It was proven that their software was an extension of (like meltbanana said) an old apple accessory and that it was not theres to begin with. They shut up for awhile but complained when they called it a "widget". Long story short, konfab gets nadda and mac kicks ***. I hate shareware anyway.

Edit*: I love shareware! i'm sorry, don't hate me. OK. OK. I just don't like the annoying widget that you can't get rid of after a certain date...

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
Jefe3223 said:
There was s big fight over this. Konfab reallized what had happened, was po'd. They complained for both money and an appology. They got niether. They complained for an appology only and got shut down again. It was proven that their software was an extension of (like meltbanana said) an old apple accessory and that it was not theres to begin with. They shut up for awhile but complained when they called it a "widget". Long story short, konfab gets nadda and mac kicks ***. I hate shareware anyway.

Edit*: I love shareware! i'm sorry, don't hate me. OK. OK. I just don't like the annoying widget that you can't get rid of after a certain date...

Thanks Jefe 3223

I love all things apple but no wonder konfab were angry when you look at the software they sure as **** have a grievance. it just shows the might of apple if konfab got - nada.

I don't care that the stuff was not there's in the first place, dashboard
is a total rip off in design to the way konfab had built the entire widget
lineage. i am surprised especially in a country like USA where everyone
gets litigated, that the konfab lawyers did not have a go.

kind regards

:batman:

M

meltbanana314

brendan67 said:
I don't care that the stuff was not there's in the first place, dashboard
is a total rip off in design to the way konfab had built the entire widget
lineage. i am surprised especially in a country like USA where everyone
gets litigated, that the konfab lawyers did not have a go.

das.gif

This is Desktop Accessories. Looks familiar, doesn't it?

Konfabulator didn't sue because Apple could already claim prior art with the Desktop Accessories program. If the Konfabulator team sued Apple, Apple could take a shot right back saying that the Konfabulator guys ripped off Desktop Accessories and the judge would probably rule in favor of Apple.

Now that Dashboard will be included with Tiger, it just means the Konfabulator guys will have to be more aggressive with their development and think of new features that will entice people to buy licenses.

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
meltbanana314 said:
das.gif

This is Desktop Accessories. Looks familiar, doesn't it?

Konfabulator didn't sue because Apple could already claim prior art with the Desktop Accessories program. If the Konfabulator team sued Apple, Apple could take a shot right back saying that the Konfabulator guys ripped off Desktop Accessories and the judge would probably rule in favor of Apple.

Now that Dashboard will be included with Tiger, it just means the Konfabulator guys will have to be more aggressive with their development and think of new features that will entice people to buy licenses.

hi meltbanana

i bow to your superior knowledge in relation to the original software issue

but lets get back to basics in terms of who copied who?

1. apple invent 'desktop accessories'

2. konfabulator copy the concept and produce modern better version.

3. apple then copy konfabulators version and produce dashboard

without the legal knowledge and outs it seems to me as a layman, konfabs lawyers are asleep.

kind regards

:miner:

K

Kokopelli

brendan67 said:
hi meltbanana

i bow to your superior knowledge in relation to the original software issue

but lets get back to basics in terms of who copied who?

1. apple invent 'desktop accessories'

2. konfabulator copy the concept and produce modern better version.

3. apple then copy konfabulators version and produce dashboard

without the legal knowledge and outs it seems to me as a layman, konfabs lawyers are asleep.

kind regards

:miner:

1. Apple invents 'Desktop Accessories'
2. Konfabulator copies the 'Desktop Accessories' and produces a modern, better, version
3. Apple copies Konfabulator and produces a modern, better, version

Dashboard is not a clone of Konfabulator. It extends and improves upon Konfabulator in a number of ways. Most significantly Dashboard is much easier to create widgets for, with a totally different back end, but also less resource intensive (though still uses too much memory IMHO) and integrated at a lower level with the OS. Of course Konfab could not do that low level an integration, but it pays to be the King sometimes. As far as appearance goes, they look like native tools. Should Apple invent a new look?

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
Kokopelli said:
1. Apple invents 'Desktop Accessories'
2. Konfabulator copies the 'Desktop Accessories' and produces a modern, better, version
3. Apple copies Konfabulator and produces a modern, better, version

Dashboard is not a clone of Konfabulator. It extends and improves upon Konfabulator in a number of ways. Most significantly Dashboard is much easier to create widgets for, with a totally different back end, but also less resource intensive (though still uses too much memory IMHO) and integrated at a lower level with the OS. Of course Konfab could not do that low level an integration, but it pays to be the King sometimes. As far as appearance goes, they look like native tools. Should Apple invent a new look?

hi

i never said it was a clone, and you would expect dashboard since its made by apple to be much more sophisticated, than any 3rd ware.

but the phrase you use " it pays to be king" says it all in this case
and illustates my point exactly. konfab get nada for helping apple along the way to produce dashboard.

the little man gets stuffed.

kind regards

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here is another discussion that appears to have a no win situation. As I ponder this question. I came across an example like the horse and buggy verses the car. I could make a case here but I think you all know where I am going.

What it comes down to in the end Konfabulator developers realized, that they did not have a good case to litigate. You know the cost of lawyers these days.

K

Kokopelli

I agree with some reservations. Apple came up with the idea originally, Konfabulator took the concept further without paying Apple anything. Apple liked the idea so made their own, revised, version of the product.

I work for a company that designed an enterprise targeted product. A larger company made an exact (in every detail from a UI perspective) copy of a portion of the product. There is nothing we can do about it, it was not a patentable idea. Now we move forward based upon creativity and value added features. That is the way it goes. This is interesting in that it is opposite of the opinion of many "Free Software" advocates (whom I somewhat disagree with). As an example look at the latest stink of BitMover in the Linux world.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.