Will the Iphone become the Macintosh of the 1990's?

Reaction score
I fell in love with apple products after I bought my first Ipod back in 2000, and have enjoyed (almost) every product since. But I am first and foremost a Google fanboy. For me the future of the computing is in the cloud and Google is the one leading the way.

As of now the Iphone is easily the best smartphone on the market. But with Android coming on strong the UI and form factors are catching up quick (Ie: Sprint's HTC Hero) With new Android devices coming out on every major network do you think Apple will be able to keep up considering it is only on AT&T? Isn't this how Microsoft took down Apple in the 1980's, by licensing to a variety of manufacturers?

This is basically my argument: Death of the iphone: An Android Story | Suburban Atrophy

What do you, as mac fanboys (and girls) think about the future of Iphone vs. Android?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
While you have an interesting point and link. I think generalizing everyone here as "fanboys" is a little offensive. The people you find here are Mac fans but in no way are they all fanboys. They are smart whitty and knowlegeable on most things tech. They believe in the right tool for the right job even if that means using something other then an apple

So feel free to make your point and look around but I think you will have a much better experence here if you have an open mind as the people here have

Just my opinion. .

OP
T
Reaction score
I think generalizing everyone here as "fanboys" is a little offensive. .

I didn't mean "fanboy" in a derogatory way. I only meant that this is a Mac forum therefore by in large it is filled with people that know about and support Apple products. Perhaps I should have just used the word "Fan".

No offense intended.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Then none taken. Welcome to Mac-Forums. I hope you have a long and enjoyable stay.

Clay

T

todd51

To be honest, I just don't think that the iPhone will stay exclusive with AT&T forever. Sooner or later, it will be available to all the major networks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I don't think so. Cloud computing unfortunately is the direction the industry is headed, although I one day will have a rack of Xserves completely disconnected from the internet to store my data on. Those Mozy commercials offend me. It's like, "Hey! Hey you stupid person who doesn't know anything! Back up your data with Mozy so that you don't have to worry about it! ... ...and so that the government and big corporations can EASILY access your files and info and keep much closer tabs on you so that we can more precisely brainwash you into buying products that we think you need!"

However, the future is cloud computing + pads (laymen's terms, extremely small portable computing devices). The iPhone is a GREAT pad, and though it is one of the first, I don't think Apple is going to lose its momentum again like it did in the early 90s. They've realized that Steve's game plan is the right game plan. Though Steve won't live forever, I'm sure he's got a map for how Apple should proceed well into the next few decades.

The iPhone as it is now offers many features that could easily be transformed as the years progress into augmented reality. As it is, the iphone offers google maps with the gps, walking directions, and a trillion other apps to do things like that. When the tech is available (probably first in glasses and eventually in ocular implants) to provide a real augmented reality experience (like little arrows pointing the way toward the destination you've chosen), I'm sure Apple has a game plan. Obviously the current iphone won't be the same when that happens, and it might not even be called an iPhone. However, as an early pad, it is very successful and I don't see it going the way of the Mac after Steve's firing.

M

MacInWin

I think the cloud computing and similar storage schemes future suffered greatly from this week's meltdown in T-Mobile's Sidekick service. Yes, they think it can be restored, but for serious business the spectre of losing two or three days because some cloud went down is not acceptable. Cloud computing, when kept within the corporate control, is a more acceptable risk. So in that model a company has an internal cloud which is available to their assets, not outside. Smaller companies may have to have public clouds, but that will come at the risk T-Mobile has exposed. I don't think any serious CIO can say with a straight face to his board of directors that cloud computing in a public provider is a wise thing to do until the T-Mobile memory is very, very old and fading. I know I wouldn't suggest an outside cloud to anybody right now. Microsoft, if they want to push cloud, have to solve the major shot they took this week.

The iPhone is not currently taken seriously as a business machine, probably because it isn't marketed as such. The apps Apple pushes in the advertising are games or gimmicks, not serious business functions. If Apple want to get serious, the hardware will support serious business use, but they don't seem to target that sector. Compare the "there's an app for that" ads to the Blackberry ads about doing business. Blackberry is taken as a serious business machine, not a toy, while the iPhone is exactly the opposite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
game plan. Though Steve won't live forever, I'm sure he's got a map for how Apple should proceed well into the next few decades.
The OSX Gravestone already has year 202(X) on it according to Steve!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
This is basically my argument: Death of the iphone: An Android Story | Suburban Atrophy

What do you, as mac fanboys (and girls) think about the future of Iphone vs. Android?

I've read a similar article and provided Android is stable enough for business use, I agree it will surpass the Iphone as far as popularity and amount of users.

The iPhone is not currently taken seriously as a business machine, probably because it isn't marketed as such. The apps Apple pushes in the advertising are games or gimmicks, not serious business functions. If Apple want to get serious, the hardware will support serious business use, but they don't seem to target that sector. Compare the "there's an app for that" ads to the Blackberry ads about doing business. Blackberry is taken as a serious business machine, not a toy, while the iPhone is exactly the opposite.

And that is why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
I wouldn't say that the iPhone is not being taken seriously as a business tool. We are currently running a pilot where I work and it will go into full production support in a matter of months. It will run side by side with our Blackberry infrastructure.

Once more companies start to compare the long term support costs of an iPhone vs a Blackberry and the fact that you aren't dependant on RIM's infrastructure than you'll start to see more saturation in the business environment.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Newer technology almost always displaces older technology. If the iPhone becomes the "Macintosh of the 1990's"...then so be it. No big deal!

That's just the nature of high-tech.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I love Android.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.