How to change email default to Yahoo mail

Reaction score
I've tried to search for this answer - sorry if it has been answered before. I use Yahoo email instead of Mac mail. It is frustrating when I am on a website and click a "contact" to send an email and it opens Mac mail - I tried to go on Mac mail to change the preference but it wants me to sign up for Mac mail - do I need to do that in order to change the preference? Thanks for the help as always.

T

todd51

First I would go through the little Mail setup wizard with the Mail application. Once this is done you can access the preferences. Then I would download and install Firefox, and set Firefox as the main application to open for email under the Mail preferences. Then try the article below, even though the pictures are taken from a Windows machine, I'm sure it would work the same on the Mac version of Firefox. Also it shows how to set it up for Gmail, but you can do it for Yahoo too.

Set Firefox 3 to Launch Gmail for mailto Links - Firefox - Lifehacker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
If you haven't done this already, you can use POP3 or IMAP to use your Yahoo! mail account in the Mail program. If you have done this already, I don't know how to fix this.

By "sign up for Mac Mail", do you mean to get MobileMe or to set up an e-mail account in Mail?

OP
A
Reaction score
Yahoo Mailer

You guys are awesome with your speedy help. I just downloaded the Yahoo Mailer applic and the instructions say
"To use this program, you have to set it up to be your default email reader. Normally, this is done by openning up Apple's Mail program, openning the preferences, and then setting it as the default email reader. "
So that means I have to set up Mac mail in order to get to it's preferences, huh?
On another subject, there was mention of using Firefox. On my old macbook I loved Firefox but I have been trying Safari on this new MacBook Pro. Not sure I am a huge fan of Safari.
Thanks again for the help.

T

todd51

No problem, yes you can try both methods and see what works for you. There are a lot of people who still prefer Firefox over Safari. You will still have to go through that little setup for Mail to get to the preferences. Then change it in the preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
When in firefox, if you go to preferences/applicataions... scroll down to mailto, click on that line (highlight) and in the drop down box choose yahoo mail. Screen shot 2009-10-16 at 12.07.01 PM.jpg

OP
A
Reaction score
all messed up now

I posted another thread regarding my problem but just thought I would add to this thread as well. I am totally a mess now. I wish I had never downloaded Yahoo Mailer and opened up Mac Mail.

Since then I have been unable to download attachments from
Yahoo Mail (via Safari).
I get this response:
"WARNING: Phishing site"

Also, when I try using Firefox and try to access MyYahooMail the response is
"Sorry Bad Request"

I have tried to disable my Mac Mail and I trashed the Yahoo Mailer
but it has not solved the problem.

Very very frustrating.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.