Doubled pull down options, windows-like boxing - Flip4Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
[iMac 17", Tiger]> fried. iMac 20" Leopard
So I just got another iMac last Fri with 10.5.6 installed (openbox) Safari 3.2.1, didn't update to 10.5.8 - been waiting for Snow Leopard in the mail.

Everything going smooth til today - downloaded flip4mac here, installed it (with silverlight) & now Safari/Finder is altered:

Pulldown menus have options displayed twice, including:

Safari>Private Browsing...
Safari>Private Browsing
Safari>File>Close Window
Safari>File>Close Window
Safari>File>Close all Windows
Safari>File>Close all Windows

FINDER:

APPLE>Restart...
''........">Restart
''........">Close Windows...
''........">Close Windows
''........">Restart...
''........">Restart

Finder>File>Empty Trash...
Finder>File>Secure Empty Trash
Finder>File>Empty Trash...
Finder>File>Secure Empty Trash

{all with the the doubled options with an alternating keyboard short-cut} [without the shift/option button & with the shift/option button]

Also, now in Safari, autofill/adress bar boxes are boxed, and in case of this site the MacForums box/reply text box outline follows me up/down the page while scrolling.

I'm going to have to assume it was Flip4Mac that did this, considering this occured directly after install/play video (didn't play). I tried deleting silverlight add-on after reading about it, and afterward uninstalling F4M. Still have the same issues after doing this.

Have I left myself vulnerable by not updating to 10.5.8 (which may include vital security update) or is just this freakin F4M program.

Any ideas about what the problem may be & any solutions?

Clean install?

Thanks in advance

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You have turned on Voice Over. To turn it off:
1) Open System Preferences - Universal Access - Put a mark in Turn Off
or
2) Press Command (the Apple Key) + F5

OP
sloburnt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aye! thanks. Somehow I knew it could've been something along those lines as I was attempting various apple-Fkeys to hide all windows - and tried reversing them all. Not sure how voiceover works, as I didn't hear anything.. but anyways.

a few more for you if you don't mind bobtomay

Security-wise, any advice on whether I should/can wait to install 10.6 when I get it, or should I be updating to 10.5.8 in the meantime. 5.8 is near a gig, so... -- & does it matter, if I import my old files [Tiger] before or after I put 10.6 in. The old files have a different administrator as well, so not sure if it's just the files themselves that integrate with my current or if conflicting admin is an issue. The old machine has a kernel panic (HD issue I'm pretty sure due to an accident), but works intermittently. When it comes down to it, I'm not sure what the best method is. If I should just start fresh, and salvage what files can be pulled onto an external hd.

Hodgepodge of q's, just figure it better here than to waste space with other threads ;D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
New Mac, have SL coming in just a couple of days - I'd just wait and do the upgrade before you import a bunch of stuff. Importing your documents, music, stuff like that is not going to matter whether before or after.

I may be different than others also, in that I do not use Migration Assistant or TM to import applications back into a new install. I install all of those individually to make sure I have the latest SL compatible apps.

OP
sloburnt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks buddy ;D will do

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.