Appleworks .cwk files in Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Hi -

My father has just got an iMac with 10.6. He has 10 years worth of word processing files created in Appleworks as .cwk files. He can open them fine on his PowerPC iBook (10.3) that runs AppleWorks 6. Pages will not read the files. Will Appleworks run on Snow Leopard? Or is there another program that will open the files?

And yes, I have searched the forums, but I would there's not much about this issue in 10.6

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Appleworks 6 may work but it is getting a bit old and you will have to convert the cwk files at some point so why not now.

The easiest way to covert a lot of files is by running this software on the iBook and converting them to MS word or RTF files

Panergy Software - Products - OneClickConvert

Reaction score
Appleworks 6 is still running like a dream on my MacBook with 10.6.1
Just to double check I booted it up and away it goes.
Install it and give it a try.
Not a bad App for a port from Pre OS X.
Sometimes Apple just gets it right but then there's the MenuBar.
Have fun with it.

Nevyn68

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And .cwk files are even older being ClarisWorks. Apple took over ClarisWorks I suppose eight or nine years ago. To get .cwk files to open, run Appleworks v.6.2.9 as well as Pages in iWork. They run nicely side by side as reported.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Be sure you install the Rosetta option when installing Snow Leopard. It is required for PPC apps and not installed by default in SL.

AppleWorks does run fine in SL but has zero support moving forward (and for several years behind). Think about alternatives.

Reaction score
Be sure you install the Rosetta option when installing Snow Leopard. It is required for PPC apps and not installed by default in SL.

AppleWorks does run fine in SL but has zero support moving forward (and for several years behind). Think about alternatives.
Rosetta will install itself the first time you try to open any PPC Application.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.