old chesnut - wireless internet connection

Reaction score
I should have known better . . . I bought a USB ethernet adapter for use on an upstairs MAC. Its a TP-LINK 54Mbps - TL-WN321G. Fun and games to get the drivers to work (downloaded from company source). Eventually got it all to work. But I have the following problem: My network settings tell me the usb ethernet is recognised (green light), the software for the TP-LINK is working showing signals etc, but no joy connecting to the internet.

Screen shots for your perusal. Please help before I go mad. I've spent so much time on this, when it was stated it would only take 5 minutes to get going.

32958659.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
try setting your DNS to your router. Most people don't run DNS servers on their local computer - the router in this case, which is providing NAT services handles DNS translation from your request on the private side to the public side. As the router knows the public IP of the DNS server (or should, as I assume it's getting its IP information from your ISP) it will forward on DNS queries to the DNS server, and pass them back to you. - your local computer is:

you have your DNS server set to: 192.168.0.101

Change it to 192.168.0.1 (the IP of your router) and see if that changes things.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response Nethfel.
I followed your instruction, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Exactly the same scenario.

I'm tempted to just throw away the usb ethernet adapter and go for a wireless card for the G4.

Reaction score
If your Mac's IP is 192.168.1.101, then your DNS can't be 192.168.1.101.

Try pinging something on the internet by IP (ie. 4.2.2.2) and if that responds then you know it's your DNS set up incorrectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Subzero: where did you get that he was using 192.168.1.0/24? all of the snapshots he provided referred to 192.168.0.0/24 - besides, I had already referenced the dns issue.

oldwah: Subzero does make a good suggestion that I should have suggested in my first post - but before pinging the internet, I'd try pinging your router first, so if you don't know how:

Open Terminal

type:

ping 192.168.0.1

and press enter

and see if you get any kind of response - if you don't then there is something wrong. My next thought on it being wireless is that you may not have the correct key entered assuming you're using encryption - if you are using encryption, try disconnecting the wireless, then reconnecting and re-entering your key. Of course, going with a known compatible wifi adapter is always the best, but I'm still not 100% convinced that it's not something else - one thing you haven't mentioned is what the wifi router setup is - you've shown us the IP settings on your Mac, but do they correspond to what the router is set to? ie: if the router is using the 192.168.1.0/24 class C to operate on, and your computer is sitting on 192.168.0.0/24 class C (as it is now according to your pictures) it won't work.

OP
O
Reaction score
I pinged the router and got no response.
So I logged into the router, and just set up the wireless again using the same password.

As if by magic, the internet came straight up.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.