How to convince them I want a Mac

Reaction score
I’m a staff member at an educational institution (media centric) which has a weird policy when it comes to assigning computer resources. All faculty get Macs while staff get PCs. A few people on the staff have crossed over into hallowed MacBook land but I'm not entirely sure what in their job profile entitles them to one.

Recently I was told I could get a MacBook for myself but now the IT Dept. is backtracking asking me what exactly I need it for. I need to come up with some concrete reasons to push this deal through! I have been functioning pretty well with a cranky old Thinkpad, and to be honest the MacBook would just be upping the style and computing pleasure quotient. Unless you’re dong heavy graphics or video editing, I’m not sure there’s anything a Windows machine can’t do (albeit with a little bit of a struggle and hairpulling). So how do I explain to these people that I don’t need a Mac just for the warm computing fuzzies but for Important Reasons related to work productivity.

Here’s what I use my computer for - - I use Word processing, an email client, some very basic graphic design (Photoshop), lots of social media networking (Twitter, Facebook etc.) and accessing lots of video media on a central server (not to edit, just to watch and make notes).

Any good arguments?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not really. In all honesty, it's more about preference than anything else. There is nothing you can't do with a Windows machine that you can with a Mac (and vice versa) unless we're talking about specific software packages. In this case, it doesn't sound like you're using any particular software packages and have very modest needs overall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.53, 4gigs RAM, 250hd
you could say that you prefer a mac because that is what you are accustom to and already have the software and peripherals that are needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I can see no compelling reason why your needs would call for a Mac over any other computer.
Your needs would be more than satisfied by what the school is willing to provide you with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
The only argument I could see being made is - if you happen to use a Mac at home, and are more familiar with OSX, you could put forth that you feel you would be more productive utilizing a Mac because that is the operating system you are more fluent in. Or if it's an older laptop that you can show you're pushing the boundaries of its usefulness based upon the work you are doing (ie: it's at the bare minimums for using photoshop, not enough ram, etc., etc., etc.)

Other than that, it would be hard to justify as the windows based laptop should be able to do everything you have stated. If it's not operating correctly, maybe you should have them look at it - there could be a problem with the hardware or an issue has arisen with the software that needs to be looked at.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
lol - Not quite the "fanboy" responses you were looking for, eh?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
lol - Not quite the "fanboy" responses you were looking for, eh?

A true measure of a great internet forum is objectiveness!!!:)

Way to go guys!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
You could always infect the crap out of your current work laptop with viruses and then be like, "this thinkpad sucks! It's full of viruses! I keep getting them! If I had a Mac, I could just concentrate on work!"

You know... lay it on thick.

Reaction score
Push the graphic design aspect a lot. Also, MACS have this built in interface where you can be running several desktops at one time, all of them with different windows on them. This will allow you to do graphics, switch your desktop to social networking, and all that stuff without having to minimize / close windows. i thinkt he default shortcut key is F13

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
Well, the reason they want to give you a Mac is probably for the cost. I like teh macz, but man are they expensive. So I guess my advice, as an IT person, is to just whine. I hate when people whine about something, so I usually cave pretty quick :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You have to realise within university and college structures, there are deals within deals and sometimes an ongoing battle between IT, Purchasing and Accounts over budget restrictions etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Well, the reason they want to give you a Mac is probably for the cost. I like teh macz, but man are they expensive. So I guess my advice, as an IT person, is to just whine. I hate when people whine about something, so I usually cave pretty quick :)

I work IT for an educational institution very similar to the OP, and for me whining has the opposite effect. Stick to your guns. ;)

fov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.8 15" & Sony Vaio running Ubuntu 9.04
As someone who runs a large windows network with just a few Macs i would suggest the way to get one is to highlighting parts of your job where you may do things which potentially work better on a Mac than a wintel machine. People seem to perceive things like graphical and design work flowing better in a Mac world which could be a start. Perhaps another angle would be the opportunity to highlight you can do things using VMs (if you can make that fit your role somehow). Plus if that is what you know now show how you will be a lot more efficient in your work and it wouldnt hinder anyone you work with.
Present all this well and bobs your uncle!

How not to do it is by moaning and whining. That is just more likely to make people dig their heals in. And certainly don't go getting viruses. We techies know when people have been up to tricks like that and we don't appreciate it (and we provide evidence to management to support your disciplinary ;) )

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have been functioning pretty well with a cranky old Thinkpad, and to be honest the MacBook would just be upping the style and computing pleasure quotient. [...] So how do I explain to these people that I don’t need a Mac just for the warm computing fuzzies but for Important Reasons related to work productivity.
You just answered your own question. Your machine works for what you need and no sane IT department would buy you a $1000+ computer because it "would just be upping the style and computing pleasure quotient". You also state that you need "Important Reasons related to work productivity" but again, you state that it would simply be for aesthetic purposes. Don't push this if your current machine works - you're not at work to look good, you're at work to do your job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
To the OP ....
You have to understand a company's IT objectives and that is to support the mission of the company.
There is not a single reason why a company would want to use the Mac/OS X combination over the PC/Windows combination in terms of end-user productivity.

No matter how you look at it, companies want to reduce complexity in the IT environment and creating ( or maintaining ) an environment with different end-user computing devices is a ( very costly ) nightmare.

I like OS X very much, but in company IT environments .... that's is a whole different ball game.... that is an environment where the law of economics will always prevail.

If some people in your organization managed to get a Mac, then that is the law of politics ... and maybe that should be your course of action should you want one.:Cool: :D

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Me, I'd be very happy with a free computer - Mac or otherwise. ANY computer that I don't spend my own money on is a GREAT computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro. 2.26Ghz, 4GB, 500GB HD
You could always push the "mobility" factor. Since the newer Macbook Pro can last up to 7 hours on battery (Though I have gotten more towards 9 doing nothing but word editing, with keyboard lighting off, backlight at the first notch, bluetooth and wifi disabled)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro. 2.26Ghz, 4GB, 500GB HD
Or you can just be honest and tell them "I would just feel happier with something new! I would have more incentive to work even harder if I had something more pleasurable to use. The upgrade would make me feel appreciated here, ending up in better work appreciation."

Reaction score
Or, just be happy they are giving you a computer at all. some of us don't even get that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.