Getting a ibook 1 question

C

Craig_455

Hi im getting my first ever apple computer ( well apart from my imac last year which lasted a night) on saturday, a 12' ibook :headphone

1 question

1.) I have a netgear router hooked up to a 2mb broadband connection. Now my ISP is AOL which does not support apple computers. Am i right in saying the buit in airport extream will pick up the connection and let me surf considering i dont have to use AOL anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yes it will let you connect

OP
C

Craig_455

trpnmonkey41 said:

oh really kool :miner: why thats good news, im going to love using my ibook around the house, insted of my dads big windows laptop.

I know i said i only had one question but anyway. I know apple's new OS tiger is coming out at the end of the month, will apple be selling ibooks with this system right away? if so should i wait til then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
It will be included in the computers after the release

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
According to Apple's website if you got/get your iBook after April 12, you will be able to get Tiger for $9.95 as soon as it is released.

OP
C

Craig_455

mraya said:
According to Apple's website if you got/get your iBook after April 12, you will be able to get Tiger for $9.95 as soon as it is released.

wow really? i'm in the UK does the offer apply here? and could you direct me to the page on the apple website saying that because i can't find it?

OP
C

Craig_455

trpnmonkey41 said:

hi what steps do i have to take to make it connect? because i have got my ibook and its not picking up the router?

OP
I

iDVFH.

Make sure your Airport is turned on..click on the cone shaped figure next to your volume level..if not that go to preferences>network..there's a few things in there that may have to be adjusted..and I advise you put your Firewall on (preferences>sharing>firewall)

OP
C

Craig_455

iDVFH. said:
Make sure your Airport is turned on..click on the cone shaped figure next to your volume level..if not that go to preferences>network..there's a few things in there that may have to be adjusted..and I advise you put your Firewall on (preferences>sharing>firewall)

thanks i will try that. i have the netgear plugged into a computer not a mac does that matter?

OP
C

Craig_455

ok...

I have turned my firewall on, like someone suggested. the littel cone at the top of the screen is turned on and still no connection. anybody else got any ideas. Anyone useing the netgear WGR614 like i am and had troubles connecting ?

OP
J

Jefe3223

From what I've found it should work (has no compatability problems). I don't know on my advise for connecting to it, though. Someone else may be able to help, but Netgear isn't my router of choice.

OP
C

Craig_455

Jefe3223 said:
From what I've found it should work (has no compatability problems). I don't know on my advise for connecting to it, though. Someone else may be able to help, but Netgear isn't my router of choice.

Thanks for your help.

Hopefully someone will stumble across this post and know what to do. :doctor:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
This may not be too helpfull, but after i connected my router i got something similar, so after trying i set - System Preferences - Network - Airport, selected "By default, join: Automatic" and then clicked on Assist Me

OP
C

Craig_455

mraya said:
This may not be too helpfull, but after i connected my router i got something similar, so after trying i set - System Preferences - Network - Airport, selected "By default, join: Automatic" and then clicked on Assist Me

i still aint got no where :( please if anyone knows how to set this up please post, i can't find any online help anywhere

OP
L

Lasha

Once you get the Airport icon on the upper right side of the screen, in the toolbar, you should be able to click it once which then pops up a menu. If it's turned off, then turn it on. It should then show you all available networks. Your network, the AOL one, or whichever, should show up there. You click it, and it should connect without a problem, if the connection is not password guarded and stuff. If anything, try entering your AOL information, lol. Umm...Oh yea, compatabilty wise, I've only heard good things about Linksys routers. Netgear? I've heard from both sides.

OP
C

Craig_455

ok i dont know what just happened but the ibook has finally connected to the netgear!!!! im soooooo happy. thanks for all your help guys and sorry to have to keep bugging you with my problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.