how to mass delete physical files from itunes

Reaction score
Hi there,

Say i have my songs rated with stars in itunes. I want to delete the physical file from my computer of all songs that has 1 star.

can this be done?

If i right click on a single track i have the option 'show in finder'. This takes me to the physical file on my mac and then i can delete it. But there doesn't seem to be an option to do this automatically and on mass.

maybe there another app to do this?

thanks for any comments.

mav.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Just sort by rating, then select all the ones with 1 star. Hit your delete key and select the "Move To Trash" button in the dialog box. Next time you empty your trash the files will be erased.

OP
mav5125
Reaction score
Just sort by rating, then select all the ones with 1 star. Hit your delete key and select the "Move To Trash" button in the dialog box. Next time you empty your trash the files will be erased.

that doesn't work. I don't get a dialog asking me if i want to move them to the trash can.

When i press the 'delete' key only the entries are removed from itunes and the files are still there.

Looked in preferences also, nothing there either.

am i doing something wrong?

mav.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0, 8 Gb RAM, 4TB Storage, 8800 GT
It is problably because you are trying to erase them from a specific playlist and not from the complete list. If you know what I mean....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
That's probably it, but there is a function to turn off that dialog box and go with whatever option you set. Make sure you are deleting them from the list that says "Music" and not one of your playlists.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.