• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple releases Leopard and Snow Leopard "Performance Update"

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
From MacNN:

Apple on Wednesday released performance updates for both its Leopard and Snow Leopard operating systems. The downloads address intermittent stalls caused by hard drives, an issue reported by a a small number of users. The updates do not appear to include any other bug fixes.

Affected systems include MacBook Airs, 13- to 17-inch MacBook Pros, 13-inch MacBooks, iMacs and Mac minis. The Snow Leopard download weighs in around 300KB, while the Leopard update is contained in a 322KB file

Full article here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
I never experienced the problem myself, but for 322KB, why not download it anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
I really hope this fixes the spinning beach ball that happens when my mac pro decides to randomly spin up my external raid hard drive for no apparent reason (nothing is ever trying to access it - not even time machine). and of course, because its a raid hard drive with 4 drives it takes freakin forever and the beach ball prevents me from doing anything else on my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
"Affected systems include MacBook Airs, 13- to 17-inch MacBook Pros, 13-inch MacBooks, iMacs and Mac minis"

No Mac Pro there. So there's a chance your issue might not be fixed.

Reaction score
Apple's Performance Update 1.0

Hello people!

I just got my new macbook and I installed Snow Leopard... I was checking the news and I read Apple released a Performance Update 1.0 for a HArd drive error .. I have been on my macbook for 10 hours and I havent noticed any problem.. so My question is.. should I download it anyway? even if I'm not presenting any problem with my hard drive should I install that update? Thanks everyone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Looks like my hardware isn't eligible. I really hope it's not referring to the situation musicvortex is describing because I have that problem and it's so annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 09 MBP17 w/ 2.93 GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM HDD
I was experiencing this issue on my early 09 MBP17 since 10.6. The update seems to have resolved the problem.

Reaction score
Hello people!

I just got my new macbook and I installed Snow Leopard... I was checking the news and I read Apple released a Performance Update 1.0 for a HArd drive error .. I have been on my macbook for 10 hours and I havent noticed any problem.. so My question is.. should I download it anyway? even if I'm not presenting any problem with my hard drive should I install that update? Thanks everyone

says not all will have the problem...if you check for updates and there is none available, you dont have the problem...if one is available, download it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
My 2009 Mini, Late 2008 MB and Late 2008 MBA all requested the update, even though I haven't experienced any issues with performance. It didn't seem to hurt anything though. My Late 2008 MBP hasn't requested it - go figure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
My 2009 Mini, Late 2008 MB and Late 2008 MBA all requested the update, even though I haven't experienced any issues with performance. It didn't seem to hurt anything though. My Late 2008 MBP hasn't requested it - go figure.

My mid 2008 MBP didn't request the update either and I even manually searched for updates. Maybe it only applies to uni-body MBPs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I really hope this fixes the spinning beach ball that happens when my mac pro decides to randomly spin up my external raid hard drive for no apparent reason (nothing is ever trying to access it - not even time machine). and of course, because its a raid hard drive with 4 drives it takes freakin forever and the beach ball prevents me from doing anything else on my computer.

My MP does the same thing and as you say it is REALLY annoying.

Luckily I only have a 2 disk RAID1 backup tho... :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.