Apples power architecture for OS X

E

Ex_PC_Puke

Would like to understand how macs go to sleep and wake up (in general) and what the wake up times "typically" are

On a PC we have the S3 sleep state where effectively everything on the motherboard and the disks and monitor are powered off -- only a few watts of trickle current are used to keep your current image in RAM alive and of course power a a couple of wake up circuits like moving the mouse or hitting a key -- wake up time to your previous memory state is about 8 - 15 seconds -- going to sleep is about the same

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
PC_Puke said:
Would like to understand how macs go to sleep and wake up (in general) and what the wake up times "typically" are

On a PC we have the S3 sleep state where effectively everything on the motherboard and the disks and monitor are powered off -- only a few watts of trickle current are used to keep your current image in RAM alive and of course power a a couple of wake up circuits like moving the mouse or hitting a key -- wake up time to your previous memory state is about 8 - 15 seconds -- going to sleep is about the same

Thanks

A sleeping Mac will maintain the contents of memory, but idle the CPU, HD, display, and most I/O. Any USB device activity will cause the machine to reawaken.

Apple laptops automatically sleep when the lid is closed.

My PowerBook takes about a second to go to sleep, and 2-3 seconds to wake up.

Power consumption is miniscule. The Developer Note claims about 1 watt for a PowerBook.
http://developer.apple.com/document.../apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001814-CH205-TPXREF109

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

My PB takes from 1-3 seconds to wake. It depends... sometimes after a really long sleep, 3 seconds to wake seems like an eternity. Mostly though, I get closer to 1 second wake times. Generally, by the time I get the lid all the way up, the PB is ready to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
My Mac wakes in about 2-3 seconds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i never put mine to sleep. on or off. sleep is for the weak! :biohazard

OP
D

Desolate One

MacAddikt said:
i never put mine to sleep. on or off. sleep is for the weak! :biohazard

I never used to either, but now I don't have a (permanent) place for the iBook (women!). So now I run Mac Janitor. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.