Problems with my iMac g5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 08 Macbook (Aluminum)
Here are the specs for my particular iMac:

Apple iMac G5 (2.0GHz, 20-inch) specs and Desktop specifications - CNET Reviews

Now, here is my problem.

everything had been running fine for years now. and one day I went to restart it because it was running a bit slow. it shows some strange symbol before booting that i had never seen before, but then booted up normally. The next reboot I did, nothing happend. wont boot up at all.

Now I am sure there is more information that anyone who can help me fix this problem would need so youll have to excuse my lack of knowledge on the topic.

Basically I am trying to narrow down the issues, hopefully to come to the conclusion that it is not the logic board as I am suspecting it is after a few other things I have read.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Brad.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
everything had been running fine for years now. and one day I went to restart it because it was running a bit slow. it shows some strange symbol before booting that i had never seen before,

I guess my first question would be...what was the strange symbol?

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i wish i could remember. It seems like it was one of the old school square mac symbols in the shape of a computer i believe. It was in the spot where the spinning loader would normally be. with a blue screen, but then it loaded up normally, just slower. And the very next reboot it just made a faint noise inside the machine and then did nothing.

Also it had Leopard running as the OS

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. i just tried again. by using the button inside on the mother board. it powered up for a moment. showed a folder with a question mark and then went to a little mac symbol.

also on the indicator lights, when i plug it in there is one light on, number 1. and when i hit the inside power button the second light turned on as well, followed by powering up. then went back to nothing and the #1 light back on.

after 10 minutes i can get it to boot up, a folder with a question mark comes up, then it goes to this symbol inside the folder:
mac-logo.jpg

then boots normally..and crashes as soon as the desktop opens.

sorry for so many posts but..i spends at least a week and couldnt get this far so this is all new to me.

and this is what i am getting now..

IMG_0110.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS 32gb,
Hmm... Thats strange i never saw anything like that before!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It really seems like the Hard Drive has died or is dying.

Do you still have the OSX DVD that came with your iMac?

If so, with the DVD in the drive, hold down the Option key after the startup sound. You should see Apple Hardware Test after a bit. If so, click on that and run the extended test when the AHT appears. See what it reports.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont, my dad has it..in florida..but I got it working for the time being...somehow it started working. and has hasnt died for the last 10 minutes...is there a way to wipe the drive without the disk? Also based on the led ligghts (1-4) on the mother board...Apple has a test to determine the problem...which led to the logic board. but now I am able to get the second light on..which allows the computer to turn on and function..as it is right now. should I be expected it to crash again or any idea what I am to look forward to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No ~ ring Dad and tell him you need the DVD fast

You need to run Apple Hardware Test from the original install DVD and see what is reported. In the meantime when you get it up and going, go to Disk Utility under Utilities, click on the top drive listed and see what S.M.A.R.T. Status has to say on the condition of the hard drive.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You need to run Apple Hardware Test from the original install DVD and see what is reported. In the meantime when you get it up and going, go to Disk Utility under Utilities, click on the top drive listed and see what S.M.A.R.T. Status has to say on the condition of the hard drive.

got it up and running for the past 20 or so minutes..ill look into that right now.
thanks for the insight

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

S.M.A.R.T. status is verified.

Waiting on original disk.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the computer died out again. cant get it to turn on with the normal power button nor the one inside the computer. Motherboard? or perhaps something else? Id take it in to apple but if its something I can diagnose with the help of some of you and fix myself, it would be much more economical seeing that I am a struggling student.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.