• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Data losses in Snow Leopard bug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Via the BBC - "Users of the new Apple operating system Snow Leopard are experiencing massive data losses when logging into their machines under a guest account."

Read the full article here.Regards,

Chris

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yet another reason why it's good practice to create a full backup before doing any major system changes, especially when that change is an upgrade to a nascent OS.

With external storage being relatively inexpensive these days, it's hard to have sympathy for folks who treat such upgrades with callous disregard.

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Yet another reason why it's good practice to create a full backup before doing any major system changes, especially when that change is an upgrade to a nascent OS.

With external storage being relatively inexpensive these days, it's hard to have sympathy for folks who treat such upgrades with callous disregard.

True, you would also think if someone is tech-savvy enough to keep atune with the latest software they should have some understanding of safeguarding their data. Especially with how easy Time Machine makes it.

Still, lets hope a fix comes out soon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard

You can't blame the consumers for this. People expect things to work and Snow Leopard doesn't work properly. Apple screwed up and they shouldn't have done.

Of-course, it's still a good idea to backup just in case but that doesn't mean problems like this should occur.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can't blame the consumers for this. People expect things to work and Snow Leopard doesn't work properly. Apple screwed up and they shouldn't have done.

Of-course, it's still a good idea to backup just in case but that doesn't mean problems like this should occur.

I don't place the blame for this bug in the hands of the consumer. But I do blame them for the severity of the impact if they haven't taken any proactive measures to avoid data loss in doing a major system change.

Reaction score
This is just ridiculous, SL is turning into a debacle of Vista proportions. I can't beleive Apple released it with so many bugs when their commercials say "It Just Works". They should have released public betas like MS did with W7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe not as bad a Vista was but certainly not very good. Snow Leopard's issues do not stop at this one of-course. I can't remember finding a bug in Leopard. Maybe I was lucky but with Snow Leopard I've come across a few issues.

There have been problems with iTunes and the function keys and some sleep issues. I also received a huge but temporary slowdown where many things crashed. I had to force a shutdown twice. Once because of the slowdown and crashes and once because there was some weird sleep bug, where OSX didn't show the password prompt when woken for a few moments before it showed and crashed.

I hate the play/pause button iTunes activation. I've hacked it fortunately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
Hmm, haven't ran into any issues as of yet.

shrug

Reaction score
You guys are scaring me now. There is a chance I could be getting a brand new Mac with SL, and reading some of the issues that are out there, it makes me want to cringe, which makes me want to downgrade it to L if I do get it. Unless I'm mistaken about it, which I heard Mac's purchased between this past June and Dec. 26, 09 have a chance to be upgraded to SL. Someone here know the full truth behind that?

Reaction score
You guys are scaring me now. There is a chance I could be getting a brand new Mac with SL, and reading some of the issues that are out there, it makes me want to cringe, which makes me want to downgrade it to L if I do get it. Unless I'm mistaken about it, which I heard Mac's purchased between this past June and Dec. 26, 09 have a chance to be upgraded to SL. Someone here know the full truth behind that?

I bought my new macbook with SL on it and it's been flawless, I think the bulk of issues are from upgrades, I wouldn't hesitate on it, I absolutly love mine. I'm in systems and this is my first mac, very technically inclined and really happy with my purchase.

Vince

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed. In all my reading since this Guest account bug has been reported, it was on macs upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6. Fresh installs of 10.6 (Erase and Install) don't seem to have the issue.

Reaction score
Agreed. In all my reading since this Guest account bug has been reported, it was on macs upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6. Fresh installs of 10.6 (Erase and Install) don't seem to have the issue.

So if someone buys a new Mac with Leopard preinstalled, and they take up the offer on the $10 (?) upgrade to Snow Leopard, without putting any files (music, documents etc) on the machine, it should be fine?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would do an erase and install if the $9 DVD allows it. I know the $29 one does. It only seems to be affecting people who upgraded, something with it not liking the 10.5 Guest Account.

If it's preinstalled, everything I have read says no issues. It's only if the Guest account is enabled and used with some upgraded 10.5 SL upgrades.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Leopard didn't have such serious flaws, but it had many eccentricites before 10.5.3. Much moreso than 10.6, which has been relatively stable - for me at least.

Reaction score
Only problem I had with SL is iMOVIE crashing. But I send the reports to Apple and now currently downloading an update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I don't see what the fuss is all about. We see a couple of SL bugs and go woah bad apple. But look at 10.5.0. That was A little buggy and had a lot of things that needed fixed. But by 10.5.2/3 most of the things were fixed and it ran really smoothly ever since.

I think people need to have a little patience and wait for 10.6.2 or 3 and most things will be fixed I'm sure.

And for me personally I've had no issues with 10.6 apart from some weird little bug someone pointed out about alias of .html files in dock folders. But otherwise SL has just run for me. Without hitch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These bugs could have been avoided with proper testing.

And Snow Leopard had few new big features and was supposed to make OSX faster and more stable. It seems ridiculous that serious bugs have been introduced.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These bugs could have been avoided with proper testing.

And Snow Leopard had few new big features and was supposed to make OSX faster and more stable. It seems ridiculous that serious bugs have been introduced.

I agree. I think the days of Apple being able to get away with just a few choice developers beta testing are numbered. But knowing Apple and their level of secrecy about products in development, they'll maintain the status quo.

Reaction score
overview_nextgen_20090824.png

Question, since I installed snow leopard, I dont see these icons on my system at all. Am I missing something or were they just for Apples own image use to explain the upgrades?

T

todd51

They were just images used by Apple to help promote the fact that SL was 64 bit capable, Grand Central Dispatch, and the OpenCL. You won't seen any of those icons on your computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.