• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K06

P84

Reaction score
Hi, guys, i really don't know if this is the right place for this... but help me, please! My drive is unable to burn dvd's... :\

Thank you! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Click once on the Apple menu item.
Press and hold down the Option key.
Click on System Profiler, also available in the Applications/Utility folder.

Click on the 'Disc Burning' selection under 'Hardware'.

Is there a 'DVD Write:' line with something like '-R, -RW, +R, +RW'? What does it say?

What software are you using?

Keep in mind that DVD burners do fail, so maybe yours has, or perhaps the cable has become somewhat disconnected.

OP
P

P84

Reaction score
Click once on the Apple menu item.
Press and hold down the Option key.
Click on System Profiler, also available in the Applications/Utility folder.

Click on the 'Disc Burning' selection under 'Hardware'.

Is there a 'DVD Write:' line with something like '-R, -RW, +R, +RW'? What does it say?

What software are you using?

Keep in mind that DVD burners do fail, so maybe yours has, or perhaps the cable has become somewhat disconnected.

Says what you wrote... '-R, -RW, +R, +RW'. Always worked well, suddenly fail...
About two days ago, when I was about to burn a DVD, it crashed.

Now, always crash. The drive eject the DVD and says '... the recording failed, the device could not respond properly, unable to recover or retry.'

The version of my imac is '10.4.11'. The software is 'Liquid CD'.

Thanks alot, and sorry my english. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
As a last check, I'd try using the Finder to burn a DVD. This Apple document explains how to do it. If it fails, I believe that the drive is likely in need of replacement, with a small chance that the connectors just need to be reseated tightly.

I've replaced DVD drives twice before on tower machines. That was relatively easy. A laptop or iMac is more difficult so it might be easier to have a shop do it for you.

OP
P

P84

Reaction score
xstep, thanks for your help! I really appreciate!

Tell me one thing, do you have any idea of how much that would cost?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Depends on where you are. Ask around and check the net if you are capable of replacing it your self.

OP
P

P84

Reaction score
And if I choose to replace the drive in a Apple store? They do that, right? I live in Rotterdam.

By the way, what drive do you recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have a drive recommendation. I used Pioneer because at the time, that is what Apple was using. They have since mixed up what drives they use.

If my laptop ever needs a replacement, I'll order online since I have the confidence to do the work my self. Good sites like Macsales.com, in the U.S., allow you to choose your computer model and they display only the drives they sell that will work with your model. If you order from such a place, what out for notices like this one; 'For pre-"Unibody" models only!'. You really want to be sure you are buying a drive that fits properly.

The Apple store will use what ever brand they use. If your system is still under warranty, then it will be free.

The difficulty of swapping the drive is dependent on the model. You can probably find guides online that will help you out.

You sound like your are inexperienced with working inside of a computer, so your best option is probably to have the Apple store (or third party Apple representative) take a look at your system and fix it. They can be more thorough about the testing. For instance, the drive is connected to the motherboard, which may be where the problem is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.