slow internet through non-wireless router

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals. I'm new to the forum. I looked around before I asked this question, but I couldn't find an answer. So now I will ask you.
I was using an apple timemachine/wireless router with my mac and everything was fine. Then I added a home security system that would be monitored though the internet. The only problem is that they don't recognize the apple router. So I had to get a D-link. I got a EBR-2310. It's not wireless. I figured I'd just run the home security system straight to that and then run the timemachine off that. Everything works great for my wife's IBM work computer. But my macbook is slow loading pages and getting around the internet. I used OpenDNS to try and help and that did nothing. If I plug straight up to the modem my internet is BLAZING! but when I hook up straight out of the D-link router it's slow.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If I plug straight up to the modem my internet is BLAZING! but when I hook up straight out of the D-link router it's slow.

More clarity is needed - that sounds like the same thing to me.
Do you have a modem and a router?
and wouldn't the D-Link have a modem built in?

OP
Reaction score
I have a Road Runner modem. That then goes to the D-Link router. If I plug the Macbook Pro directly into the modem I can get around the internet great. If I run it through the router the internet is REALLY slow.
My wife's IBM works great through the router. It's the Macbook Pro that is having the trouble.

T

todd51

I would think it has something to do with the home security system? I'm not sure why the D-link router would cause the MBP to slow down, especially when it's not wireless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
f I plug straight up to the modem my internet is BLAZING! but when I hook up straight out of the D-link router it's slow.

There is your clue - the D Link is not set up correctly - MBP is looking for info it is not getting, so it has to resolve the issue each time.

Reaction score
6pinman, I'm having the same problem. Originally, I only had an Apple Airpot Express wi-fi station plugged into my cable modem and I used the Airport to send a net connection to my iMac and a Windows XP laptop. That worked great. Then I needed to hook the internet up to various components in my living room (Blu-ray, TV, satellite receiver) that could only accept a wired ethernet connection. So I got the D-Link EBR-2310. It's plugged into my cable modem and then has wired ethernet connections going out to the devices listed above, as well as to my Airport Express, which then sends a wireless net connection to my Windows laptop and my iMac (running Snow Leopard). This set-up generally works fine on the Windows XP laptop but I repeatedly have problems on my iMac. For several minutes, it works fine and then the internet connection seems to completely drop out, even though the wireless signal from the Airport is strong. Websites won't load, or they'll load extremely slowly. My email accounts can't contact their mail servers. During these episodes, when I try pinging a website, using either a "www" address or a raw IP address, anywhere from 30% to 100% of the packets will be dropped. And then, after a couple of minutes, the problem goes away and I'm back to a normal internet connection. And then, after a few more minutes, the problem returns.

Now I've read that the problem could be due to Snow Leopard's inability to properly look up DNS servers via a router, so I've tried to remedy that by typing in the IP addresses for Open DNS's DNS servers into the System Preferences for my Airport connection. That didn't help.

I've also read that the Airport Express should be set up in Bridge Mode, so that it doesn't distribute IP addresses to the devices it's serving but rather lets the D-Link router distribute IP addresses and then just pass them along. (Originally I didn't have the Airport Express set in Bridge Mode, so I had a separate wireless network inside a larger wired network.) So I completely rebuilt the network from scratch and put the Airport in bridge mode. That didn't help either.

I've also tried manually assigning static IP addresses to the Airport Express and the iMac rather than using DHCP for them so that they don't automatically get assigned IP addresses by the router. Again, this did not resolve the problem.

I'm at a loss of what else to do. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Wouldn't an easier solution be to go modem ---> airport ---> switch ---> devices that need wired connection?

If you plug an inexpensive multiport router/switch into the ethernet of the Airport, wouldn't you get all the ethernet you needed, with the Airport still in control? My understanding is that there is some sort of IP conflict (DHCP issue?) if both the Airport and/or modem and/or other router are all trying to assign IP addresses.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. The set-up you suggested isn't possible since the Airport Express has only one ethernet port. So if the cable modem is plugged into that port on the AE, there's no way to then run an ethernet connection out to the D-Link router.

You're correct that there can be a conflict if both the AE and the router are acting as DHCP servers and assigning IP addresses. But putting the AE in bridge mode, as I've done, avoids that conflict because the AE then does not assign IP addresses, it just passes along the addresses assigned by the router.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I did a search for the EBR-2310 and found some not very positive reviews and a lot of complaints like yours with both Windows and OSX machines. It could very well be some issue with your particular EBR-2310.

Reaction score
did you solve your problem?

same issues, tried bridge, Open DNS etc...

cable modem into ebr2310 WAN
AE in LAN 1
xbox in LAN 2 ethernet cable
Dell in LAN 3 ether cable

ran good at first then froze etc...

my old di-604 workd well without the open DNS until it died, thought the ebr would do the same.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You are plugging basically two routers together correct? How do you have the AE configured? In Bridge mode?

Reaction score
ebr 2310

yes

AE was in bridge mode and I even tried to use OPEN DNS, but no luck.

I think I'm going to go with an xbox wireless adapter and a usb adapter for the dell

everything will be wireless after that.

see the post from geronimo, i was having the same issue as him, after several internet searches, i've come across several headings indicating the same problem with the 2310.

not sure why my old di-604 worked and the new 2310 didn't

wish i could find another 604

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.