How to Add 2nd Drive - newbie

Reaction score
Sorry for this 'simple' question - new to mac and have a concern. I have two pc's, one mini mac and the other winxp that are both hard wired to the same router to share the internet connection. Both pc's have a requirement to back up things like photos etc. I think a simple way of doing this is to put a 2nd HD (it will go in the windows PC as it is a tower case) and have two partitions - one NTFS for the winxp machine and one Mac OS Extended Journaled (is that the right one?) for the mac mini. Question is - will the mac mini recognise the new 2nd HD on the LAN or will I have to do anything to make it 'see the new drive'? I was looking at complete file sharing betwee the two PCs but I have just read about a Leopard bug that can wipe out user data when a guest account is set up and so far all the winxp/mac file sharing web pages I have looked at seems to want to create a guest account on the mac for file sharing. As this is not my mac (mother-in-laws) I have decided not to go down that route.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Hmmm..... this leopard bug is for Snow (10.6) so does not apply to me - the mini mac above is 10.5; sorry for that. Would still appreciate advice on easiest way to get mac to see 2nd HD on local lan.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.