Kernel Panic

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4-IBook
That is not the Installer Window. That sounds like the boot menu you get holding the Option key at startup. What happens if you click on the Mac OSX Install Disc 1 then the arrow to the right?

I get the kernel error.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4-IBook
This is an iBook G4? What are the specs? You say it was dropped? Is all the ram stock? Most iBooks come with RAM soldered to the logic board then another shot under the keyboard for adding more RAM. Do you have Ram in that slot?

Not sure on the specs. I bought it used. It is pre 06. I believe all of the ram is stock. There is ram in the slot under the keyboard.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not sure on the specs. I bought it used. It is pre 06. I believe all of the ram is stock. There is ram in the slot under the keyboard.

It's a white plastic case correct?

Try taking out the RAM under the keyboard and then try booting from the OSX DVD. Does it still get the Kernel Panic?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4-IBook
I took out the ram and tried running the install disk on both the "power+option" boot menu, and the "power+C". Kernel Panic both times. It has a white case, yes.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4-IBook
I think that I am going to pull the hard drive and take it to someone to format. Maybe that will help?!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Doubtful. To me this seems very consistent with a memory issue. Your machine is not kernel panicking because of a non-formatted hard drive. It's kernel panicking trying to boot off the OS X discs.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4-IBook
So...if it won't boot with the memory removed from under the air card, then it is with the memory on the board? Which board holds this? The logic board?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4-IBook
I think that I will just keep my eyes open for a G4 for parts. At that point, I will just swap parts out until I find the bad one.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You say the iBook fell? Did it hit the ground pretty hard? I am wondering if something cracked on the Logicboard? Just a guess since all other troubleshooting did not take care of the KP.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4-IBook
Yeah. I was walking in the hallway when my dogs were a little too happy to see me. I got tripped up trying to not step on them, and the G4 hit the floor. It landed pretty much flat, but kinda hard. I was wondering if it might be something else. I guess I need to keep my eyes open for a G4 that has a broken screen or something. Now my g/f (soon to be fiance!) just laughs at me and says "I told you to buy a regular Windows based laptop!" :Not-Amused:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tell her if the Windows laptop was dropped the same way it would have broken in some way. I have had Compaq's that with a slight jar were history.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4-IBook
Actually....come to think of it....it was HER dogs that ruined my Toshiba Satellite laptop as well! Again...the happy dogs walked by the coffee table wagging thier tails, hit my open Mt. Dew (over a foot away!), and it landed on my laptop and spilling into the main board. The processor and some other chips were visibly fried! She has a freakishly large Golden Retriever and a Chocolate Lab. She has offered to buy a winders based laptop, but she is missing the point! 1. I am a guy! I MUST fix what is broken. 2. If I can not fix it, I must damage it beyond all hope while trying to fix it. 3. I WANT A MAC!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4-IBook
Hmpf! :( Seems I cannot post in the WTB area here. Do I need a minimum amount of posts first? I just need some parts! Ugh!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmpf! :( Seems I cannot post in the WTB area here. Do I need a minimum amount of posts first? I just need some parts! Ugh!

It's based on post count and the time that you've been here. Check back in a week or so.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4-IBook
Well....I'm at a loss! I replaced the whole logic board, the hard drive, the ram, and even the cd rom! Nothing will make this stupid kernel panic go away! NOW....to top it all off...I had to unsolder the power connector from my old board and resolder it to my new one. Now when I plug in the power, I get a high pitched sound and the smell of burning plastic! So I unplugged it and I'm about ready to part out the hard drive, the ram, the air card, and the new keyboard...and just go buy a Windows PC! This is rediculous!

Reaction score
Actually....come to think of it....it was HER dogs that ruined my Toshiba Satellite laptop as well! Again...the happy dogs walked by the coffee table wagging thier tails, hit my open Mt. Dew (over a foot away!), and it landed on my laptop and spilling into the main board. The processor and some other chips were visibly fried! She has a freakishly large Golden Retriever and a Chocolate Lab. She has offered to buy a winders based laptop, but she is missing the point! 1. I am a guy! I MUST fix what is broken. 2. If I can not fix it, I must damage it beyond all hope while trying to fix it. 3. I WANT A MAC!

I feel for you. And what is so "good" about Windows that she likes? Has she ever owned an Apple product (specifically an iBook or MacBook?)

Don't go Windows. You'll sooner regret it. I'm sure you can find a refurbed MacBook at your nearest Apple Store or on like eBay or Craigslist. Happy hunting! ;D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tough break, I really feel for you. Nothing is worse than going on a wild goose chase with an older machine like that. After having done all of that, I really have no clue how to direct you further, but just wanted to express my sympathies.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4-IBook
So I broke down and took it to be serviced. Turns out there is a computer store down the street from me that specializes in Macs. I brought it in, explained the issues, then showed him the kernel panic and other power issue. He just got a big smile and told me how excited he was to work on this. I'm thinking to myself "Uh oh! This CAN'T be good! CHA-CHING!" He said "1. I hardly ever see older models like this in here. and 2. you have a whole "christmas tree" of issues going on here! I can't wait to work on this one!" He said that most Mac issues are user error, but this one was definately NOT one of those cases! So...I will find out by noon today if I can save it, or if I end up parting it out on here! All in all, I am only in for 40 bucks for the diagnosis. So...we'll see what happens!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.