pram issues

Reaction score
I'm having some issues with my pram and was wondering if anyone could help:
Saturday Night - Surfed the internet, unplugged my macbook and went to sleep.
Sunday Morning - Woke up, tried to get on the computer but it wouldn't start up. I had some errands to run so I did that and came home and tried again. It still wouldn't start, so I called Apple. I was told how to reset my PRam, and I did that and it ran fine. Then I turned it off Sunday night, unplugged as usual.
Monday morning - Wouldn't start up again, I reset the PRam and it started up. Turned it off while I was at work, and had to set the PRam again when I came home. So I called Apple again, they said it's possibly the logic board and they want me to send it in. A box is on the way for me to send it in now. But, now that I have went through all of that it hasn't given me any more problems.

Should I still send it it, or can I be charged if they can't find anything wrong with it? I am still under warranty for 67 more days. Has anyone heard of this issue before?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I take it there isn't an Apple Store anywhere near you?

Did you run the Apple Hardware Test?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it's still under warranty, I would send it on in unless you're close enough to an Apple store. If it is the logic board, Apple will replace it free of charge. You DON'T want to wait until the warranty expires and then have to replace the board. You would be looking at a rather expensive repair bill.

One bit of advice: Make a backup of everything before sending it on in! Use Time Machine to backup to an external hard drive. Even better is to use cloning software such as "SuperDuper" or "Carbon Copy Cloner" to make a bootable backup of your hard drive to an external drive.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
The closest Apple store is about about 3 hours away.
I have not ran the apple hardware test.

When I called Apple the 2nd time they said that it is really rare to have to reset the pram multiple times. I had to do it before about a year ago too.

I just hope I don't have to pay for any repairs. I am planning on buying a new macbook in the spring, and right now I am using my little acer aspire as a back up. It's awful. I have been working on backing up my music/photos and documents to my desktop though.

OP
C
Reaction score
Should I call apple and give them a heads up that it is no longer acting up? It hasn't needed to be reset since I called them the 2nd time. I haven't been using it at all, so maybe that is why?

OP
C
Reaction score
I take it there isn't an Apple Store anywhere near you?

Did you run the Apple Hardware Test?

I just ran the test, it came back nothing was wrong.

I am still apprehensive about sending it in since I can be charged $100 if they find nothing wrong. I don't exactly have $100 laying around to spend on nothing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.