Sorting messages in Apple Mail, unread first

Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know of a way to sort messages in a folder in Apple Mail so that unread messages appear first, and read messages follow (all sorted by date within these two categories)?

Unfortunately, clicking the 'dot' column heading sorts by message status, and Mail considers "replied to", etc, as a separate status. So this method sorts Unread -> Replied to -> Forwarded -> Everything else.

Also, creating a smart mailbox doesn't really solve this issue, because it will only show you unread messages, and it's not really a solution for numerous IMAP folders, I believe.

Essentially, I'm looking for something that mimic's Thunderbird's sort by read/unread column.

For the record, I'm running Mail 3.6 on Leopard.

I've looked for a solution for this everywhere, and I thought I'd finally try asking here. If anyone has any idea for a solution, from plugin to running a script to anything, please let me know! Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out? I've been having this kind of problem since I took my i-Mac out of the box and starting using Mail.

When you sort by 'flags', which I like to do so my action items appear at top of list, it automatically orders 'status' second, so any emails sent as "urgent" permanently reside at the top of the list (below the flags). There seems to be no way to change the sort order or remove the "urgent" status.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.