Random Reset Settings/Dock/Application Settings

Reaction score
Alright i've had my macs for awhile and this has happened a couple of times specifically with my macbook pro where I perform a proper shut down and upon the next time i power up i get the originally settings set again. Such as my dock contains all the original factory apps (any i added are gone) applications such as safari dont contain any of my bookmarks. When i opened up MS office i get prompted with a dialog telling me this is the first time i have opened this app. Does anybody know why this happens.... its getting annoying

Reaction score
I can think of a few things:

1) You recently used the Guest account- though deletion only occurs on Snow Leopard I've heard

2) You tried to change the name of the Home folder by right clicking. I've done this a few times and come to find that everything I've done (except for some documents and newly created file folders as well as my photos) disappeared. Luckily I back up my files

3) There is something wrong with your harddrive (and probably your RAM) if everything is disappearing.

I'm not a Mac expert here, these are just basic things that I could think of.

OP
S
Reaction score
the first 2 theories didn't take place. The third isn't the reason either. The hard drive's fine, and i believe the RAM is fine too. I am actually on the MacBook Pro now. It doesnt do it everytime just randomly every once in awhile... it just gets annoying because i tend to loose all my bookmarks and app settings. My other macs havent had this conflict. But this is my only laptop.

Reaction score
the first 2 theories didn't take place. The third isn't the reason either. The hard drive's fine, and i believe the RAM is fine too. I am actually on the MacBook Pro now. It doesnt do it everytime just randomly every once in awhile... it just gets annoying because i tend to loose all my bookmarks and app settings. My other macs havent had this conflict. But this is my only laptop.

Do you back up everything using either Time Machine or third party software? I would recommend doing so:

1) The only thing I can think of here is you will likely need to reinstall Mac OS X, whichever that version may be.

2) Someone else here might have a better answer, because my mind is now a total blank.

Oops.
;D
Oh well, well anybody have any information as to Swizzy's problem?

Reaction score
hey guys a little help from anyone..

I have the new silver macbook which I got in january 2009. A couple of days ago, i logged onto iChat and it said that I could only video chat with one person at a time instead or multiple people in a video chat, but that problem was user specific because when i made another computer user and logged onto that ones iChat, it worked and said i could video chat with multiple people, but i logged back onto my regular computer account and waited it out. Today, I logged onto iChat and it switched back to me being able to have multiple people in video chat but now everytime I try to video chat with ANYONE it doesnt work and says theres a communication error, but i cant fix it. I've" reset the PMU, restarted my macbook, took off the firewall, set the quicktime streaming speed to the right speed, and everything but nothing seems to help. Please help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.