• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Rip Audio and Stills from DVD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
What's the easiest way to rip audio clips from a DVD. For example, there's a movie that you think is hilarious and you want to grab a couple of one-liners off of it. How would you best do that in Mac OS X?

What's the easiest way to capture still images from a DVD? For example, perhaps there's some priceless expression on one of the characters in the movie and you want to grab a JPG of the frame. How would you best do that under Mac OS X?

T

todd51

I would say to pause it, then hit Command+Shift+4. Then hit the space bar and take a picture of that specific window.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
That gets it onto the clipboard. How do I get a screen capture (screenshot) from the clipboard to a file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As copying a commercial DVD is illegal no help here. Probably find it has 'blockers' in the original copy to prevent this also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
You are using the key combination Control-Command-Shift-3 (or 4), which, copies the capture into your Clipboard memory. To save the screenshot to the desktop use Command-Shift-3 (or 4). In Snow Leopard it gets saved on the desktop. If it isn't on your desktop, check in your downloads folder.

Found this on the Apple Pro Tips website.

Okay, you probably already know the ol’ Command-Shift-3 shortcut for taking a screen capture of your entire screen, and you may even know about Command-Shift-4, which gives you a crosshair cursor so you can choose which area of the screen you want to capture. But perhaps the coolest, most-secret hidden capture shortcut is Control-Command-Shift-3 (or 4), which, instead of creating a file on your desktop, copies the capture into your Clipboard memory, so you can paste it where you want. (I use this to paste screen captures right into Photoshop.) - Apple - Pro - Tips - The Secret Screen Capture Shortcut - Some good tips there by the way ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As harryb has indicated, breaking the encryption found on most all commercial DVD's is illegal here in the U.S. even if it's just for your own use. Therefore it's not allowed in the forum.

From our Community Guidelines:
Respect copyrights and the law.
Don’t discuss or conduct content theft or any other illegal activity. Period. We follow U.S. law on the forums, so just because something might be legal in your country doesn’t mean it will be allowed here. If you’re ever in doubt, contact one of the moderators before you post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.