Kernel Panic no boot

Reaction score
Hi all, new to macs, i use a imac G3, it returned a darwin kernel panic.

So i inserted my tiger disc 1 cd in the drive and held options key down during reboot, it took me to the options screen, the cd was showing as an icon but with a small X in the right hand corner, i highlighted it and clicked the ----> icon, it started to read the cd (made reading noises) then took me to the grey screen with the apple in the center, then stopped there without any warning message or anything.

Am i to believe the cd drive has failed or hdd has failed???, i have a 4 disc set of tiger ox discs plus the upgrade for them, but nothing else, i need real help here, not knowing what to do.

Footnote: ive no idea of which version os i use

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Is the Tiger CD a full retail version, black coloured, or a silver grey? The silver grey discs are very much model specific and for sure did not come with the G3 iMac which probably had OS 9 as the original install discs.

Also your HDD may have died.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As Harry pointed out, disks are model specific. You need to purchase a copy of Tiger (black retail) and not make illegal copies of anyone else's.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
oh ok, i was not aware of this, i will borrow my friends black ones a try them, if they work ill buy a set for sure, if they dont work ill dig a hole for this mac and go back to my intel, at lest that works, thx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.