PowerMac G4 Upgrade...

Reaction score
So, I have a PowerMac G4 (Power Mac G4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) that I just purchased from an Audio buddy. They haven't been using it, so I took it!

Anyway, I really want to upgrade the RAM and processor on it. What would be the best choice for the cheapest price. I know RAM runs fairly cheap, but is there a certain type you would get over another? I'm open to any suggestions.

And as for the processor, I'm all open ears. Just let me know what you think, and anything else you'd recommend upgrading to help make it an efficient computer. I am mainly doing things for audio, by the way. It's also backup to my macbook pro, but I'd like something stationary, which is why I got it.

EDIT:
Oh, I forgot about how freaking loud it is. What would you recommend for that? New fan? Haha.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Luke

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Can't get the link to work so can't see precise model. Memory upgrades will be a PC100, PC133 or PC2700 modules depending on the model, with either 2GB or 1.5GB maximum.

CPU upgrades are now not worth the big bucks asked as you will still be stuck with the 100/133/167MHz system bus speed. Talking about the noise it may be a MDD (Mirror Disk Door) and new fans will not make that much of a difference.

You will not find a new CPU upgrade if it is a MDD and for earlier models check this out:-

Processor Upgrades for your Apple PowerMac G4 AGP Graphics "Sawtooth" 500MHz (1999) at OtherWorldComputing.com

Also Tiger will run nicely on a G4, and Leopard if your processors are above the 1GHz level.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Okay now see it is a 400MHz Sawtooth and definitely not worth the CPU upgrade as you will be stuck with the 100MHz system bus speed. That machine takes 4x512MB of PC100 memory, and this must be low density Apple compatible not usually sold by PC shops. This is the memory you want:-

512MB PC100 CL2 168 Pin SDRam 2-2-2 fo... (OWC100SD512328) at OWC

It cannot run Leopard which is probably the system on your MBP so you cannot back up the OS.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.