Using Airport Express to play music on home theatre

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
Hello everyone,

I have a friend who uses an iPod Touch and Airport Express to play music on his home stereo. My understanding is the Airport Express has an audio out, that is plugged into his home reciever. He then uses the iPod to play/pause/skip etc and the music plays through his home steroe.

So I'm wondering, without the iPod, but with a MacBook and Airport Express, can the same be done? Can I play my iTunes library on my Macbook, have it stream to the Airport Express and play on my home stereo? Or do I need an iPod to do this?

TIA!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
You do not need an iPod/iPhone for this. You can easily control the music on the MacBook and stream it to the stereo. The iPod/iPhone is nothing more than a remote control in this scenario.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
Excellent. That's great news, Thanks!

So my next question, is how will this integrate (if at all) with my existnig Linksys wireless router? I already have the Linksys access point, and all my computers are connected to it.

If I get the Airport Express, do I have to have it broadcast a second wireless network, and have the Macbook connect to that, rather than the existing Linksys?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early "09 Macbook Alubody 13" / iPhone 3G 16GB Black
All airports can join wireless networks, in order to enlarge your range for example, so only using ot for AirTunes is no problem at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.