Powerbook,tiger and Doom 3

D

dlisle20

i'm getting a 1.67Ghz PowerBook and I will buy tiger with it and add a gig of ram, will doom 3 run smoothly with these specs? doesn't the 128mb grfx help a lot? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
it might do as the recommended spec is a 2Ghz G5 with 512Ram so it might do

OP
I

IChing

Open GL is supposed to make a huge improvement on tiger, so I am hopeing that my games will play better, although on my PB, doom III, will not play because my video card.
Get It Done Faster

"No matter what your digital media specialty, Mac OS X Tiger delivers technologies that enable you to create audio, video and print as fast as you can imagine it. With Quartz Extreme, Mac OS X takes the Quartz engine a step further to leverage the power of OpenGL, the open standard for visualizing 3D shapes and textures, for the industry’s first hardware accelerated windowing system with on-the-fly text, graphics and video compositing. Mac OS X delivers unmatched 3D graphics performance with its optimized implementation of OpenGL. Whether you use your Mac for gaming, CAD/CAM or scientific visualization, Mac OS X gives you the ideal system for 3D animation and special effects."

From the apple site:http://www.apple.com/macosx/overview/graphicsandmedia.html

OP
S

Solomon210

I'm getting the 1" PB and with Tiger....I'm pretty sure it will run smooth..we will just have to see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I have a 17" 1.67 GHz PB with 1 GB ram, even Battlefield 1942 has a much lower frame rate than my pc and feels a bit choppy. I hold no hopes at all for doom 3.

OP
J

jessica

I have been warned not to bother with doom 3 on my pb. Therefore, I will continue to play it on my pc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Yeah, I may try it eventually, although my hopes are low. Does anyobody know if there is any sort of demo available? It would be nice to try it out to see.

OP
C

Cloudane

I'm getting the 1" PB

Wow, that's small :)

They're definitely not made for gaming - I wouldn't even try it TBH. It might run, but it'll be slow and it'll have to be in the lowest graphics setting.

OP
I

IChing

I was reading on another site, that some people got tiger early by accident and found that tiger increased their benchmarks considerably. This alone may be a good reason to update, and see an improvement to game playing.

OP
U

untoastytoast

rs2sensen said:
I have a 17" 1.67 GHz PB with 1 GB ram, even Battlefield 1942 has a much lower frame rate than my pc and feels a bit choppy. I hold no hopes at all for doom 3.

What are the fps on bf1942?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know, I couldn't tell you exactly. I'm really just comparing it to when I've used it on a PC and when I've used it on a mac, and the "feel" of it to me. Does anybody know how I could find out the fps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just did a little research, it seems like a lot of people are saying that "they really screwed up" when they ported BF1942 to the Mac. Mac users have had lots of problems with it I guess.

It's really hard for me to tell, I've run Command and Conquer Generals and Ghost Recon on my PB, and it seems to run really well, but those games don't compare to Doom 3 at all...

OP
C

Cloudane

I had World War 2 Online running quite smoothly on mine. Should be interesting to see what the big cat does for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.