wireless connection takes 30 seconds to load simple web pages

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I have a Linksys WRT160N v3. Ethernet connections in it go just fine.

My wireless connection can go quickly like it's supposed to, but more often than not it will take 30 seconds to load simple web pages. Today, it's been getting worse. Like, 1 minute 30 seconds to load the Mac-forums. That's just obscene.

So I tried resetting it, and even without encryption the wireless is ridiculously slow. Ethernet is fine. Right now I'm rocking an unprotected network, because I have a linksys wireless-g access point (even though the router is wireless N, this goes faster). The WAP for some reason I can't set up encryption with when I access it through a browser. It tells me that the server is busy when I try to set the settings from anything but default (lame).

Either way, this set up works for now, but I'd rather not have an unencrypted connection floating around.

Help me out, oh godly geeks of networking!

Thanks,
Jason

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Jason:

Sounds like you've got DNS problems. Reset your DNS Primary and Secondary to OpenDNS and give that a try. I'm assuming you know how to do that from System Preferences, Network, Airport Settings.

Use these: 208.67.222.222 primary
208.67.220.220 secondary

You might also have to reset your router to the same.

If you need any more help with it, post back or PM to me.

Regards.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Jason:

Sounds like you've got DNS problems. Reset your DNS Primary and Secondary to OpenDNS and give that a try. I'm assuming you know how to do that from System Preferences, Network, Airport Settings.

Use these: 208.67.222.222 primary
208.67.220.220 secondary

You might also have to reset your router to the same.

If you need any more help with it, post back or PM to me.

Regards.

Thanks, I'll give it a try later. :)

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I tried that, and I don't think that was the issue. :( I think I need to grab myself a new router, because the signal strength on this one is a pile of crap. Sometimes it will be full strength, and then randomly drop down to 1 or 2 knobs in airport. Curse thee, Linksys. Next time I shall go with Belkin!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
I have a D-LINK wireless N and to be honest its the worst thing I have ever owned.

I live in an apartment, its not huge I would say average sized, its was built in the 1920 so it's got 12 foot high celings, long hallway and solid brick.

My room is at the front of the house and my router is at the other end and I would be lucky to get 1 bar signal and I have a 2.4GHz 6dBi Directional Indoor Antenna and still poor signal.

I had to run CAT5 through the roof and to my iMac, it was a waste of money buying a $200+ router IMO I would have just been better off buying a cheap router :(

I ran 10m of CAT5 and I think I only would have needed 6m so if that's anything to do on I'd look at Linksys or even buffalo.

Sorry I think I rambled on lol

Conclusion:
Buy something other then D-Llink!!

;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.