worth selling?

Reaction score
Hi guys, since I'm not actually selling anything, I guess it should go here and not in the for sale section? (First post)

I've had a macbook for about 3 years now, the original core duo one and think it's about time for an upgrade. I really want to get another macbook so I'm hoping I could sell this one to offset the cost a little. My problem is that it has been used (and abused) extensively, and I'm not 100% sure I could sell it for a decent price. The main problems are general scratching all over the outer shell, some discolouration, very poor remaining battery life (1.5 hours max), 3 vertical lines of blue pixels on the screen, and finally, a crack in the casing to the right of the screen. (I think the screw houses broke, so now it's loose at that side.)

Does anyone think I could get much of anything for this? If not for sale on ebay, via a trade-in scheme or something?

Cheers, and sorry for the long post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
You could find someone looking to buy worn/damaged laptops. I have seen them around before, for various products.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The original Core Duo models are going for less than $500 in decent shape. If you subtract the money it would cost to repair the non-cosmetic issues, I'd be willing to bet you could get about $200 for it (on eBay, of course - not here since you haven't been a member long enough to participate in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook Clamshell 466mhz, PowerBook 2400c
Are the lines a problem with the screen itself or with the internal video card? Do they show up when you hook it into an external monitor? If it works properly with an external monitor, then it would still have some value in the logic board and other internal parts. If the video card is going bad then, yeah, I'd say it's pretty worthless.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.