13" screen replacement - normal macbook one work?

Reaction score
Hi

I bought a 13" MacBook Pro yesterday featuring a cracked screen in the view to buy a replacement screen.

Just noticed though that there are very few if any 13" MacBook Pro screens around on Ebay...there are loads of 13" MacBook ones though!

My question is, will a 13" MacBook screen work in a MacBook Pro, and are they manufactured with the same screens to start off with?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Unibody Macbook (end 2009)
Ok I might be wrong here, so anybody please feel free to correct me.....

The new age Macbook Pro screens are in fact glued to the lid, therefore you would need to replace the whole top half of the notebook, not just the screen. There are a couple of companies out there that will do just the screen replacement for you, but they charge a fair whack for the service, as its very tricky to do. There is a link in another thread for this, unfortunately I cant remember which one!

Also, the Macbook screen is LCD and the Macbook Pro is LED, giving it far greater saturation and clarity, my guess is you wouldn't want to replace the screen with one of lesser value and quality, I know I wouldn't unless I had no choice.

Hope this helps in some way!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok I might be wrong here, so anybody please feel free to correct me.....

The new age Macbook Pro screens are in fact glued to the lid, therefore you would need to replace the whole top half of the notebook, not just the screen. There are a couple of companies out there that will do just the screen replacement for you, but they charge a fair whack for the service, as its very tricky to do. There is a link in another thread for this, unfortunately I cant remember which one!

Also, the Macbook screen is LCD and the Macbook Pro is LED, giving it far greater saturation and clarity, my guess is you wouldn't want to replace the screen with one of lesser value and quality, I know I wouldn't unless I had no choice.

Hope this helps in some way!

You are correct. It's more than just a screen replacement anyway, since the inverter has to be matched up to the screen it was meant to be used with.

Your best bet would be to replace the entire lid and be done with it. Otherwise, you're looking at a wild goose chase.

OP
M
Reaction score

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My previous advice still applies. You can not usually match up disparate display panels with inverters and their associated cabling. Replace the entire screen with an equivalent part or you're looking to go down the rabbit hole.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Unibody Macbook (end 2009)
Although it seems like a good deal, Id be wary of that if I were you.

As mentioned, the Macbook screens are LCD. They are advertising that screen as LED and there isn't any guarantee it will connect up with your model.

Also be careful that they are advertising its compatibility with other brands too, Apple have a history of keeping things unique to their own products, therefore the likelihood that you could just buy any LED screen to fit in as a replacement is minimal.

You asked the difference between Macbook and Macbook Pro. Well if we look at just the 13" group, the Macbook doesnt come with firewire 800, has a different processor speed range to choose from, it uses DDR2 RAM -of which can only be upgraded to a maximum of 4GB RAM (Pro is 8) and the already mentioned screen difference too.

Nothing too major, but still enough for some people to make a choice.

Hope this helps.

Andy

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Andy. I'll ask the guy I buy from if it'll work and check he'll give me a refund if it won't work...also check it's an LED screen too.

About the screen manufactures though, Apple won't manufacture screens themselves but use third party companies like LG etc (like many monitors and TVs do)

I'll ask before I buy...or at least remove the screen to knock out the dent on the lid (caused buy it sat under a chair leg or something) which caused the problem in the first place and re-sell ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.