has my mac had its day?

Reaction score
hey, im a new user to this site, however ive had the same 17" macbook pro for 4 years now.

Only until recently ive picked up a few problems that i thought you guys may be able to help me with. Its quite late where i am at the moment so i just wanted to ask a couple of questions now.

My itunes

Now we all know that when you click on an application in the dock it jumps up and down and eventually opens. When i go to open my itunes it jumps up once then stops and fails to open? Ive found itunes in the finder window, double clicked and still fails to open. Ive downloaded a new version of itunes from the apple website, but when i go to install it, it reads this message;

"You need about 225mb more free space on the destination volume. Quit the installer to make more space available on the disk then start the installation again"

This messege has also appeared for other programs that i have downloaded such as the latest version of adobe flash player.

Can someone please.....

1: help me with my itunes situation
2: tell me what the 'DESTINATION VOLUME' is and how i can make more space for it.

Im sure someone on here can help me and i would very much appreciate it!!

thanks for youre time,

noggy123

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro. 2.26Ghz, 4GB, 500GB HD
I'm not 100% sure of your issue with iTunes, but I'd think there is a very good chance it is connected with your "insufficient space on destination drive" messages.

That message is telling you that your Hard Drive is full. I'd recommend deleting some old apps/music/movies that you no longer need. If you can't sacrifice anything, then it is time to upgrade your Hard drive. The older MBP's didnt come with very big hard drives compared to what is offered now, and it's pretty cheap and simple to upgrade it (That would be my biggest suggestion). I just upgraded the stock 160gb hard drive in my new macbook pro to a huge 500GB drive for $90 at best buy. Obviously for that price they don't install the drive for you, but it is VERY easy to do yourself, and anyone with any computer knowledge could pull it off pretty easily. Your user guide that came with your MBP will tell you how to change the hard drive, if youve misplaced that you can google it. Of course once the new drive is in, you will have to reinstall OSX and copy all the data off of your old hard drive into the new one (buying a cheap external enclosure works wonders! and you can pick one up for a few bucks on ebay, just make sure it is for 2.5" SATA drives)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro. 2.26Ghz, 4GB, 500GB HD
BTW, if you still like your MBP, it has not had its day!

One of my desktops is an old G4 Cube that I'm still in love with!!!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
How much space do you have left on your HDD? I think it's trying to tell you that it's almost full and it doesn't have enough space to install programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
And how much RAM do have fitted - perhaps it is trying to write to disk to cache data that cannot be kept in RAM and finding little spare space.

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks badhabbits! i think im going to have to look into getting more room on my HD. if i were to get the people at apple to install if for me, do you know roughly how long it would take to do, just because i use my laptop for all my work needs etc. I really appreciate your reply and advice and i think thats the only logical path to take.

ive never had an update (apart from software updates) done to my make in the four years that ive had it, so i think its dont reasonably well til now!

Processor - 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory - 1GB 667 MHz Ram

I'm not a computer buff compared to some of the people that use this site, but i do know that what i have isn't enough to be able to handle everything i want to do with it! haha!

thanks again guys, really appreciate it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.