Marks on the screen over time

V

vat

Hi all! Just got my 12” BP!

A few questions for you all:

1. My friend has her PB for several months and she is using this thin polystyrene sheet between the screen and the keyboard every time she is closing the PB. She says that the button of the track pad is leaving a mark on the screen over time. Can any of you confirm that? It seems very uncomfortable to drag that sheet all the time.
2. How can I leave the PB running but close the cover at the same time?
3. My office uses a windows network – with a domain. How can I connect to that domain with my user?

Thank you all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
1. I know that some older PowerBooks left keyboard marks on the screen after a while, but I'm not sure if that still applies to recent one's. It's one of the downsides of the very slim design.

2. You can't. The PowerBooks use the keyboard for cooling, and there's a high risk of overheating when running it with a closed lid. That's why it always goes to sleep when closing the lid.

3. Your network administrator should be able to give you the necessary information you'll need to setup your network connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 Powerbook & 80g iPod classic
rberry88 said:
I also use the Screensavrz by Radtech. It also doubles as a screen cleaner because of the soft material its made of, very much worth the money.

I just bought it too. I agree, it is very worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Ti PB G4 867MHz 1GB RAM 10.4.6
vat said:
My friend has her PB for several months and she is using this thin polystyrene sheet between the screen and the keyboard every time she is closing the PB. She says that the button of the track pad is leaving a mark on the screen over time. Can any of you confirm that? It seems very uncomfortable to drag that sheet all the time.

I wish I knew about that sheet a LONG time ago, my screen is ruined. The entire keyboard is on my screen.

Plus there are little colored blips all over the place too. You have to have all the lights in the room turned off to see them, but they are there, I notice them when I use PS7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
GT5.0 said:
I wish I knew about that sheet a LONG time ago, my screen is ruined. The entire keyboard is on my screen.

Plus there are little colored blips all over the place too. You have to have all the lights in the room turned off to see them, but they are there, I notice them when I use PS7.

Those are "stuck pixels"...which aren't caused by the keyboard, even in the most extreme of circumstances.

However on that topic, I too use the Radtech screen protector. It also doubles as a screen duster. I refuse to close my Powerbook without it. :)

OP
C

Cloudane

2. You can't. The PowerBooks use the keyboard for cooling, and there's a high risk of overheating when running it with a closed lid. That's why it always goes to sleep when closing the lid.

True for the iBooks I believe, but not for the Powerbooks. PBs vent their heat out of the back. It's perfectly possible to run a PB closed - you close it, plug in a monitor keyboard and mouse then press the spacebar on the keyboard and it'll wake up. I've done this several times with no overheating :) Doesn't work on the iBook afaik, as you say because those vent out the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Cloudane said:
True for the iBooks I believe, but not for the Powerbooks. PBs vent their heat out of the back. It's perfectly possible to run a PB closed - you close it, plug in a monitor keyboard and mouse then press the spacebar on the keyboard and it'll wake up. I've done this several times with no overheating :) Doesn't work on the iBook afaik, as you say because those vent out the keyboard.

Thanx for the info, I thought it was for PowerBooks too

OP
J

Jefe3223

Um...heat leaves the back some, but mostly from the bottom and the keyboard/hand resting area. If the iBook screen is up, then the back (as I differentiate bteween the bottom and the back), then the back is blocked by the screen. Either way, definantly bad to run the ibook w/ the lid closed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.