Can Garageband strip away voice from songs?

Reaction score
Hi,

Does Garageband have the ability to strip away the "voice" from songs, thus making a karoke version of the song?

Thanks,
Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
No program has the ability to do this perfectly well. Removing the vocals from a song is a very complicated process that can usually be achieved only partially. The frequency range of the voice is shared with other instruments such as synths and guitars, making it very hard to remove without sacrificing part of the song itself.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sony has a product that does this in their Vegas Movie Studio Package, so I hoped Garageband would also.

Reaction score
Masking a voice without harming the music won't work...

What you can do, is find a midi of the song and import it into garageband. Then you can turn off that vocal track and make a karaoke tape, or something to lay down your own instrument on. I do it sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
The vocal does have to be centered in the stereo, though...unless you want a REALLY complicated process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.25Ghz G4 1gb RAM, Mac Pro G5 Dual 1.8GHz 4GB RAM, MacBook Air 1.6 GHz Core2 Duo 2GB RAM
You could find many acapella versions of songs on the internet. (acapellas4u.co.uk)

isn't that pretty much the opposite of the desired result?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.