Not recognizing removed (old) dying drive via USB Adapter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.42 GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Seagate 160GB HD, OSX 10.4.11, Airport Extreme
Hello.

I replaced the dying hard drive on my iBook G4, reinstalled OS X and got updated back up to 10.4.11.

Now I'm using a Vantec SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter to try to see the old drive and drag/grop the User Folder and other misc applications.

The problem is... well, the iBook can't seem to see the old drive. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a particular order you have to plug things in with the adapter?

I hear the drive humming, but no real activity.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
With the enclosure plugged into the computer power cycle it and when it comes back up it should mount.

Hope this helps.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply.

Two questions:
1. By "enclosure" do you mean the old hard drive that is now hooked up to the SATA/IDE to USB adapter?
2. Does "power cycle it" mean "restart" the iBook or unplug/replug the old hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Yes and ya just unplug the USB while the computer is powered up.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Mark, is that you? :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Make sure you've done the following in this order:

1. Connect the adapter to the drive (without power)
2. Connect the power to the adapter
3. Plug the USB cable into the Mac
4. If the drive doesn't mount, open up Disk Utility (Applications => Utilities) and see if the drive is listed in the left pane.
5. Click on the drive name if it shows up in the left pane
6. Click the First Aid tab and run Verify Disk
7. Click Repair Disk

That's what got it to mount for me. If it doesn't work, either that drive is too far gone or my Mac has some special magic yours doesn't. If that's the case, bring your iBook in tomorrow and the drive. I will copy the data onto my machine, then copy it over to your machine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With the enclosure plugged into the computer power cycle it and when it comes back up it should mount.

Hope this helps.

The adapter he's referring to is a USB to SATA/PATA adapter, one of the handiest tools I've ever owned and something no serious computer enthusiast should be without. I think you were assuming he was using a USB enclosure.

Check it out here:
Newegg.com - VANTEC CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Adapters & Gender Changers

This one is on the pricey side, but it's one of the better units I've encountered. You can find cheaper brands on the same site. Also, OtherWorldComputing.com stocks one under their own house brand that seems to get very good reviews.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried the steps and it took about 10 minutes ("Gathering disk information..." message), but it finally mounted.

I was unable to "Verify" or "Repair" the disk, but it still allowed me to copy over all of the old User data (key documents, contacts, pictures, music, etc.) and a few applications I needed.

Thanks again, cwa107. I'm very, very glad this worked. Next up, an external drive purchase so I can back up everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.