Charging a MacBook in the Car

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to charge a MacBook in the car from the cigarette lighter? I searched Apple's accessories but didn't see any car adapters.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Does anyone know how to charge a MacBook in the car from the cigarette lighter? I searched Apple's accessories but didn't see any car adapters.

You could try using an inverter.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's one on eBay.

Or do as Nick says and buy a car inverter. The inverter may be your best bet as you can use it for other things beside your MacBook.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was hoping to get something from Apple. Does Apple not make one?

As you can see this is all Apple stocks and it's a third party inverter. As I posted before, eBay or another third party inverter will probably be your best bet. Actually, the charger on ebay looks pretty good.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Be sure to get a big enough inverter. I have a 300 watt inverter and it wouldn't handle the power brick when I tried plugging my Macbook into it. My new car does have a 110 volt plug in the center console (which works fine to charge my iPod, and in fact I think that's exactly what it was designed for since it also has an iPod holder built in to it) but I haven't yet tried to plug the brick into it.

Reaction score
i used an inverter last weekend, the button on the power supply turned red which kind of scared me, but it charged...hope i didnt f*** up my MBP

Reaction score
That Apple store Kensington invertor is 150watts and that Ebay one is 85watts. I believe the MBP requires 85watts so it's essentially underspec'd as far as specifying electrical devices is concerned. I'm not saying it wont work, but it's clearly doesn't have any headroom.

It's not exactly that much cheaper so i'd personally go with the name brand that has a reasonable history (and almost twice the current capabilities) any day of the week.

There is also the option to get a standard DC-AC invertor from an electrical supplier although they are often unsightly and larger than you may want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I believe I've seen 300 watt inverters in Walmart for around $30.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.