Mini Dvi/USB to HDMI..no sound

Reaction score
So I just got my mini dvi/USB to HDMI cable from monoprice. They were great fast shipping, etc.
Any back to my issue. I hooked up my macbook pro 13" with Snow Leopard i figured out how to use the dual screens but only sound i could get was from the mac not the TV.
I must be missing a setting somewhere.
Please help.
THanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Ok folks one more time. The MacBook pro does not handle hdmi nativly. Which means you need to also patch thru audio also.

The search feature is your friend.

Good luck and I hope this helps

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok folks one more time. The MacBook pro does not handle hdmi nativly. Which means you need to also patch thru audio also.

The search feature is your friend.

Good luck and I hope this helps

Thanks but not a real help. I did state i have the mini dvi/usb to hdmi connector, and i thought it was a setting.

I found my answer on Monoprice.com webpage under the reviews of the product i bought.

I may be new to this forum but not forums, and not reading the question fully and jumping to conclusions is not helpful, and yes we all know google, but sometimes you get a better faster answer from knowledgeable, helpful people on forums, that is what they are for. But i guess i found my own answer no thanks to the first poster.

I hope this forum is helpful in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are correct. I miss read / didn't see " USB " sorry about that. Didn't mean to offend.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That's a nice cable there to combine both audio and video. Glad you got it working.

For those in the future that see this. Here is more info, since we get a lot of these.

The following video ports on your Mac, or any other PC you may have, do not carry sound and will never carry sound.

VGA
mini-VGA
DVI
mini-DVI

A cable with any of the above as a part of its name also do not and will never carry sound.

Connecting a HDMI cable (that can carry your sound) to one of these ports does not somehow magically enable it to carry sound.

The following ports on your computer:

DisplayPort
mini-displayport

According to the specification have the capability of carrying audio/video like HDMI. However, as of the date of this post, the audio portion has not been implemented on any computers that I have seen. So, you're still out of luck here. Those that have begun using this port include Apple, Dell, Asus and others.

So, this means you still need a separate audio cable to get the audio to your TV or AV receiver.

One option for those with the mini-displayport is the following cable to combine audio and video from your Mac into HDMI.
For only $33.60 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini Displayport Male and USB Male Audio to HDMI Female Converting Adapter | Mini DisplayPort to HDMI / DVI / VGA Adapter

finsup: if you have a link for the mini-dvi/usb to HDMI, that would be a help for others also.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Great info Bob. Maybe make it a sticky?

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've been threatening to do one for two years I think.

Need to finish it, but things keep changing so fast - like that new cable from Kanex and now monoprice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very nice bobtomay.

Reaction score
Just wondering...

"The following video ports on your Mac, or any other PC you may have, do not carry sound and will never carry sound.

VGA
mini-VGA
DVI
mini-DVI

A cable with any of the above as a part of its name also do not and will never carry sound."

Hi

I'm kind of new in this forum things, so I didn't get the quote thing to work properly.

Anyway, I was seaching arround for the best solution to hook up my new MacBook Pro to my HDTV when I came over this thread. I know it is a bit of the case, but when I kept on seaching, I came over this little feller:
The Kanex iAdapt HDMI V2

I was just wondering, since you, bobtomay, seems to know alot about this DVI and mini-DVI stuff, and I don't, if this is the bomb, or if it's just a bomb?

Is it possible that a mini-DVI port, that not and never will cary sound, now do?

Best regards

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Is it possible that a mini-DVI port, that not and never will cary sound, now do?

Best regards

No, it's not possible. DVI and mini-DVI do not and will not carry audio.

That adapter you have linked to is for a "mini displayport", not "mini-DVI". They are not the same thing. Hence it's name: "mini displayport to HDMI adapter".

Yes, the adapter you have linked to will carry audio - if - it's connected to a port that supports audio. As I noted in the second half of the above post - that the displayport specification provides for passing audio, there are indeed some computers out since that post was made that do indeed pass audio and video through their displayport or "dp" / mini displayport or "mdp".

Whether your Mac has the ability to carry audio or if it even has a mdp on it, I don't have a clue. You will need to provide more info than "my new MacBook Pro". Sorry, but I've had folks tell me they have a "new MacBook Pro" when the model they just bought was 1-2 years old.

So, if you would like a specific recommendation for adapter/cabling for your Mac, or even if the adapter you have linked to will work with your Mac, you must provide the info requested in the following thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/193239-connecting-your-mac-your-tv.html

Reaction score
old macbook4,1 to hdmi a/v receiver

That's a nice cable there to combine both audio and video. Glad you got it working.

For those in the future that see this. Here is more info, since we get a lot of these.

The following video ports on your Mac, or any other PC you may have, do not carry sound and will never carry sound.

VGA
mini-VGA
DVI
mini-DVI

A cable with any of the above as a part of its name also do not and will never carry sound.

Connecting a HDMI cable (that can carry your sound) to one of these ports does not somehow magically enable it to carry sound.

The following ports on your computer:

DisplayPort
mini-displayport

According to the specification have the capability of carrying audio/video like HDMI. However, as of the date of this post, the audio portion has not been implemented on any computers that I have seen. So, you're still out of luck here. Those that have begun using this port include Apple, Dell, Asus and others.

So, this means you still need a separate audio cable to get the audio to your TV or AV receiver.

One option for those with the mini-displayport is the following cable to combine audio and video from your Mac into HDMI.
For only $33.60 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini Displayport Male and USB Male Audio to HDMI Female Converting Adapter | Mini DisplayPort to HDMI / DVI / VGA Adapter

finsup: if you have a link for the mini-dvi/usb to HDMI, that would be a help for others also.

I have a macbook 4,1 "edition". Will the cable you suggested above work on my computer to connect to a yamaha receiver with hdmi, or do i have to use separate cables for video and audio. thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.