Buying Opinion - Powerbook vs MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Buying Opinion - Upgrade Powerbook vs MacBook Pro

I'm thinking I may try to upgrade my laptop as my main objective is to get CS4 right now but I have a friend who is selling his MacBook Pro for $900. What's your opinion as you would know better what Macs can handle? My main problem is speed especially with CS programs and I do need a new battery. I have a PowerPC G5 Dual with a large glossy screen for my most intense work that I can do from home. But I like to have a laptop that I can take on the road for working on projects. It's mostly for Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign. So no animation or gaming purposes.

I have:
Machine Name: PowerBook G4 17"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,9
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.5f3

His computer:
2.16 ghz Core 2 Duo Processor
3 GB RAM (Newly upgraded)
320 GB 7200rpm HDD (Newly upgraded)
Dual Layer Superdrive (DVD and CD recorder)
15.4" 1440x900 Widescreen Glossy Display
128MB ATI x1600 Video
DVI-VGA adapter Cable
Apple Wireless Remote
Brand new battery

It includes OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard, iLife 09, and iWork 09, all part of the "Mac Box Set," so this is all legal software.

The original box, discs and documentation are all included.

The condition of the system is excellent with one minor exception - there seems to be a very slight bend in the casing underneath the expresscard slot. One of my photos shows it.

Do you think it's doable with what I have (and what could I do?) or should I go with the newer MacBook and save myself the headache? What's the main difference with the computers?

Thanks everyone!
Tiffany

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I didn't see any photos or a photo link.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go with the new MB and I bet this is want you really want to do eh? Any computer with original packaging, manuals, software etc. has generally been well looked after.

OP
T
Reaction score
Go with the new MB and I bet this is want you really want to do eh? Any computer with original packaging, manuals, software etc. has generally been well looked after.

What are the main differences between the two that make the MacBook Pro worth the expense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD
What are the main differences between the two that make the MacBook Pro worth the expense?

The speed of the processor is faster. The processor has 2 cores. It has more RAM. The battery is new. The graphics card is probably better and the hard drive is probably faster and bigger than your current one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
The CPU and GPU are the biggest changes.

The MBP will have intel processors which are needed if you want to run any of the newest software including Snow Leopard.

The GPU is also a big difference.

OP
T
Reaction score
He's offering it to me for $900. Looks comparable to ebay sales form what I've seen...seem like a good deal?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
He's offering it to me for $900. Looks comparable to ebay sales form what I've seen...seem like a good deal?

I would say that $900 is a fair deal...especially if it is a local sale, and no shipping required. If you haven't done any negotiating yet, maybe you can get him to knock-off an additional $50!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.