Files are There, but Not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
Sorry, I know this is going to be long, but please bare with me, I want to be clear and concise on my description.

My iTunes library has more than 4200 songs in it. I have been using the "Consolidate Library" feature ever since I got my Mac. Now, while using that feature, it is my understanding that it keeps all the music in the "iTunes Music" folder under <home folder>:Music:iTunes.

Now I am running a DJ program that has the ability to A) read the iTunes library, and B) Can browse through folders manually.

When I browse the library in the program, all 4200+ songs show up. But when I manually look at the "iTunes Music" folder, only about 800 songs (in their respective folders) are visible. Also, in Finder, when you manually look up the location of the music, only some of the folders are there, and all of the folders are empty.

I don't think my music is missing, because iTunes can play every one of the 4200+ songs, but I can't find them at all in Finder. When looking for the music, I am going directly on the same path as what iTunes says when I control-click on a song and click "Get Info"

A few things to note:
-My iTunes folder in Finder has a size of 97+ GB.
-In iTunes when I select all the music by the artist "Above & Beyond", iTunes says I have 1.07 GB of music
-In Finder, iLaw:Music:iTunes:iTunes Music:Above & Beyond is only 8 KB in size.
-iTunes says all of my Above and Beyond music is in the folder listed in the previous point.

I have already tried showing all hidden folders with the following command in Terminal:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder
but the Folders aren't there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
do this...

du -sch /Users/iLaw/Music/iTunes/iTunes \Music/Above \& \Beyond

ls is only showing the size of the directory itself, not the contents (makes no sense does it)

See?

mikeMbp:iTunes Music mike$ ls -l | grep "Frank Zappa"
drwxr-xr-x 6 mike staff 204 Dec 25 2008 Frank Zappa

mikeMbp:iTunes Music mike$ du -sch Frank\ Zappa/
184M Frank Zappa/
184M total

OP
iLaw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
I got this:

Code:
iLaws-MacBook-Pro:~ iLaw$ du -sch /Users/iLaw/Music/iTunes/iTunes \Music/Above \& \Beyond
du: /Users/iLaw/Music/iTunes/iTunes: No such file or directory
du: Music/Above: No such file or directory
du: &: No such file or directory
du: Beyond: No such file or directory
  0B	total
iLaws-MacBook-Pro:~ iLaw$

is that what I'm supposed to get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
No, lets try this...

du -sch ~/Music/iTunes/"iTunes Music"/"Above & Beyond"

see, those darned &'s and spaces really muck up ease of commands in Unix.s

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.