G4 QuickSilver and dial-up problem..

Reaction score
Hi all, first post here please excuse my naiviety!

As well as owning a Macbook I've been helping a friend out with their 9-10 yr old G4 Power Mac. The problem started with it not being able to power on so I tried resetting CUDA etc; that didn't work so I sourced a replacement Power Mac (power supply being impossible to replace).

All went well, swapped the HD out of his duff M5183 and put it into the newer QuickSilver. Booted-up fine and apart from running quicker it looked like his old Mac. When he tried dial-up (he can't get BB) he kept getting a no dial tone error. So I had a fiddle and managed to get a tone... however when the 0845 number was dialled all you get is a beep....beep....beep noise like the line's engaged or unobtainable. I managed to inadvertently wipe his ISP settings so tried another ISP (called freeisp, 0844 7110059) - still get the same reply on the line with this.

Question is, I'm guessing the modem on the QuickSilver is different to that on the M5183? Do I need to install drivers? The modem seems to dial out okay so I'm a bit confused.

Any help gratefully rec'd... he hasn't been able to get online for some time now.

Ta, HB

Reaction score
You need to tell us what OS your working in.. Most likely the drivers are messed up. Theres a list were you pick internal modem. Reinstalling the OS would likely fix the problem.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I can't remember what the Panther version is... I'm going to try and get my hands on a newer OS and upgrade. Failing that I'll have a stab with an Apple external modem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And it is possible the internal modem has died over the intervening ten years or so. Maybe a PCI modem might be the shot?

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks all for your help, ended up buying a new Apple USB modem off Ebay.. dial-up now works. Must have been a fried/duff internal modem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Our pleasure and stick with the forums as there is a lot knowledge hereabouts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.