New 8 Hour Battery for Retail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
I have checked the Apple site and as far as I can see there new 8 hour batteries are not for sale as a stand alone product. Do any of you know if/when they will be releasing these batteries for purchase? Or are they just a perk that will be staying with the latest MacBooks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I don't believe they will fit into anything other then the new mbp's

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have checked the Apple site and as far as I can see there new 8 hour batteries are not for sale as a stand alone product. Do any of you know if/when they will be releasing these batteries for purchase? Or are they just a perk that will be staying with the latest MacBooks?

Two thoughts regarding your post:

- these batteries are supposed to last something like almost 3x longer than traditional laptop batteries (~1000 recharges)...so maybe they are not stocking them in the stores yet for sale because since they sort of just stated selling laptops with these batteries...and they shouldn't need replacing yet for a long time.

Apple - MacBook Pro - Learn all about the breakthrough battery

- Second thought. Maybe these batteries are NOT supposed to be user replaceable (void the warranty & such)...so maybe they will never be available for users to purchase from the Apple Store.

Of course this doesn't mean that third party vendors won't sell replacement batteries that the user can replace...it will just be a difficult replacement (kind of like how hard it was to "crack" the case on the old white G3 & G4 iBooks.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
pigoo3 - you've hit the nail on the head!

I'm pretty sure Apple have said that you should bring your MB or MBP into an Apple Store to get the battery replaced and so sounds like yourself changing it would void the warranty.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm pretty sure Apple have said that you should bring your MB or MBP into an Apple Store to get the battery replaced and so sounds like yourself changing it would void the warranty.

I'm not exactly sure why Apple decided to go with a "non-user replaceable battery"...other than, think of all the money Apple is going to make replacing those batteries when they start going dead in a few years!;)

That's assuming that the same 7-8 hour battery "could" have been developed using the old "user swappable" battery style.

- Nick

OP
DanFlan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
Thanks for all the thoughts. I guess the new 8 hour batteries wouldn't have the same life if it was user replaceable. As for me I guess I'm sticking with my normal battery. Unless anyone can suggest a third party manufacturer that is reliable?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.