D-Link dir-655

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4GHz,4GB,200GB
I have a question about this router. There seems to be mixed feelings about this device on this board. I want to know if this can handle streaming video. If not, can anyone give some recommendations. Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a question about this router. There seems to be mixed feelings about this device on this board. I want to know if this can handle streaming video. If not, can anyone give some recommendations. Thanks.

Mixed feelings? I've only ever seen positive reviews - this router has won multiple awards in various comparisons.

Yes, it should stream video just fine. I own one and have never had a better router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU
Yep, my D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N streams videos and does everything else quite well.

I assume you mean to stream video wirelessly? Ethernet is the way to go if you can of course. Wi-fi strength and reliability is dependent on a number of things including where the router is positioned with respect to the receiver (your computer), construction of the building it's in, outside interference, etc. The very best wireless can be hampered if certain conditions are present. Some folks have to use a booster/repeater to make things acceptable.

We have a two-story house. The DIR-655 is upstairs at one end and I can still get a great signal downstairs on the other end of the house. Nothing but positive things to say about it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, my D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N streams videos and does everything else quite well.

I assume you mean to stream video wirelessly? Ethernet is the way to go if you can of course. Wi-fi strength and reliability is dependent on a number of things including where the router is positioned with respect to the receiver (your computer), construction of the building it's in, outside interference, etc. The very best wireless can be hampered if certain conditions are present. Some folks have to use a booster/repeater to make things acceptable.

We have a two-story house. The DIR-655 is upstairs at one end and I can still get a great signal downstairs on the other end of the house. Nothing but positive things to say about it.

You hit the nail on the head - placement, considering building configuration is absolutely key.

You see a lot of negative reviews of routers, only to find that people have them sitting in the basement of their two story homes, or at the extreme end from where they use their computers. Even the best routers are hampered by that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU
Indeed! Once upon a time I lived in a three story condo...wireless router on the top floor and a wireless adapter on a TiVo in the basement. To get the signal strength up I actually made a couple of these parabolic reflectors...

Ez-12

Here's a DL.TV video tutorial:

http://zdpub.vo.llnwd.net/o2/ziffdavisplayer/flvplayer2.html?show=DLTV&movie=episode101 (Click on "WiFi Boost below the video screen.)

Looked really cheesy, but it actually increased the signal more than 50%! Amazing!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You saw the mixed reviews here at Mac Forums? Everyone here I know who owns the DIR-655 loves it and has had the best of luck with it.

If you read reviews on a site like New Egg where there are all kinds of different people of varying degrees of knowledge, you will get some negative reviews on any router leave alone any product.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Believe it to be the best router I've ever had. Do have issues once in awhile when the neighbors decide to change the channel on theirs yet again.

As for streaming, I stream from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, iTunes, and a few others on a regular basis (and in HD where available). Have had really nothing but positive things to say about this router in the 2 years I've had it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the responses. The negative reviews I have seen were more about d-link products in general. My mind is made up, thanks for the help. I will be ordering the 655 today.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the responses. The negative reviews I have seen were more about d-link products in general. My mind is made up, thanks for the help. I will be ordering the 655 today.

Don't get me wrong, certain D-Link products do suck. This one is not one of them :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I love my DIR-655. I love it so much that when my family physically broke the one at home (I have no clue how, they deny any wrongdoing) I ordered them the exact same router as replacement.

Reaction score
Another happy DIR-655 user here. It's easily 10x better than the crappy Linksys that it replaced.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Don't get me wrong, certain D-Link products do suck. This one is not one of them :)

The Dlink routers that are quite problematic are the older ones like DI-624 and a few older ones. I have one old Dlink DI-524 though that has never given one issue. The new ones like 655 are solid.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The router got delivered on friday. It didn't come with a stand. Was it supposed to? Does anybody know where I can find a stand for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Call D-Link and ask them to send you a stand. It is supposed to come with one according to their website.

I have one that came with my DIR-628 that you can have, but I couldn't say 100% for sure it will fit yours and you probably don't want to pay shipping for something so small and insignificant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.