External CD Drive + Erase & Install Mac OS X

Reaction score
My computer has been acting up and after a visit to the genius bar they suggested that I back up my files and perform an erase and install on my machine. The problem is that my internal cd/dvd drive no longer works and I have to use an external cd/dvd drive. I put the CD in and after it didn't work I googled the problem only to find that according to the apple support site you must install using the original drive.

Are there any ways to get around the issue so that I can reinstall Mac OS X even though I don't have the original drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
A Firewire Drive will let you install from it, especially from DVD. I'm not sure about CD, but I don't see why not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums peachy.

Does help if you include model specs and PowerPC G5, G4 and G3s will boot ONLY from a Firewire external drive, optical or hard drive as Kevriano has advised.

If you have a tower, replacing the optical drive is easy and they are as cheap as chips. Bit harder for iMacs and laptops.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.