• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New displays

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
Any word on when Apple will be coming out with new displays, and how goo they will be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Apple could use a good low-end display. Or a good "midrange" display, for that matter. Even the old 17" Studio dislay, ressurrected in an aluminum housing with a DVI connector, would be fine.

Not everyone has $1000 to spend on a display, nor does everyone need a 20" panel. For now, the only option is a third-party one.

I heard a rumor a while ago that they'd be putting the iMac's 17" widescreen panel into a standalone package. I'm still waiting.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
mynameis posed a better question for you. I really don't think that we'll be seeing a update to Apple's displays anytime soon.

Reaction score
technologist said:
I heard a rumor a while ago that they'd be putting the iMac's 17" widescreen panel into a standalone package. I'm still waiting.

That would be interesting and unique, no one else sells a 17in widescreen that supports a resolution higher than 1280x768, which isn't high enough for me, but the iMac screen is nice.

I

iDVFH.

Apple's prices are a little ridiculous when it comes to displays..One thing that bothers me though is if you have a Powermac and an Apple display your mouse and keyboard are white..it would look nicer if they were grey or aluminum (or something to that affect)

U

untoastytoast

If they came out with a lower priced studio display i would probably buy it if i was in the market for a new display, the only con that the sds have is their crazy price.

Reaction score
i don't know if any of you noticed this bc most of you guys are just mac users. but since i switched over from pc i notice how a lot of mac users even after apple upgrades a product they ask when it is getting upgraded again. i've never seen so many people ask right after they just upgraded, saw someone ask the other day when they are upgrading powerbooks even after they just upgraded them, kinda annoying.

Reaction score
I don't think people want an upgrade, they want an expansion to the product line.

E

Echo_

apple marks up their lcds (well its not really theirs... i believe its samsung that makes them) so much

for example the 999 20 inch widescreen is the same as teh 600 dollar 20 inch widescreen from dell.

dont say well its apple quality balh because they dont make it lol and about it looking better ya but its almost 400 dollars more... can almost buy 2 for the same price

Reaction score
yeah i know what you mean man. you can even get the new dell 24inch for around a $1,000 if you have a coupon and that thing is insane compared to the apple 20inch display. they need to cut prices on there displays big time and i bet a ton of people would buy them up.

OP
Mojo027
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
Well I recently upgraded from a 17" CRT to a BenQ 937s 19" LCD. I'm only partially satisfied with it as it has backlight leakage and a dead pixel, not to mention poor viewing angles.

I just wanted to become a bit more knowledgable about Apple monitors as I own an ipod and am more than impressed with it's build quality. I've also heard that Apple LCDs have the least amount of backlight leakage, and the company only ships products that have no dead pixels. So pretty much Apple takes the best LCD screens, puts their name on it and sells them. Is any of that true?

So my post was to see when the new models are coming out, and to ask if a price drop is at hand at all, as the 23" screen I am interested in is $2.5grand Canadian. And that is pretty **** rich!

U

untoastytoast

Yeah its obvious that apple marks up their displays a ton, but they are ****ing beautiful. But i, like many other people, don't think its worth it to pay a couple hundred more for a better looking monitor.

Reaction score
Mojo027 said:
So my post was to see when the new models are coming out, and to ask if a price drop is at hand at all, as the 23" screen I am interested in is $2.5grand Canadian. And that is pretty **** rich!

Check out the Dell 24in LCD, supports the same resolution as the Apple 23in, it can be found for only a little over $1000USD. Dell sells some quality monitors, I am very satisfied with my Dell 2001FP, 20in regular aspect.

E

Echo_

dude apple displays have backlight bleeding and dead pixels... dont get brainwashed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I don't know that I have ever seen an apple display with a dead pixel. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen... But quality IS better... Just because samsung makes it doesn't mean Apple doesn't have a say in every detail of the products quality.

What Apple bashers fail to realize is that Apple is a niche... and a darn good niche... you simply can't compare them to PC counterparts because they weren't designed to do the same things. I would agree to some level that the prices on the displays are high... until you factor in their effects on the group of people they are designed for... Video/Graphic Artists. This is a group of VERY environment effected people... Visually attractive equipment (as silly as it sounds) really DOES make an effect on many people's artistic performance. As a designer you tend to create what you surround yourself with. So the long term value of the product cannot just be measured in pixels and size... It is has an environment benifits as well.

I know this sounds wishy washy to most PC users but hear me out... When I go to do design work... I go straight to my $3000 Powerbook. I can't explain it... but I just create better on it... When I go to play games or write code I head straight to my souped up $1400 PC. It is faster than the Mac in every way possible... I love it... But I DONT design on it... Its just too ugly. Somehow I just can't create as well on it. (and it has 3 dead pixels)

Just my 2 cents.... take it or leave it.

E

Echo_

dude... samsung does not just give the good displays to apple because guess what... if they could control dead pixels they could and also they do not test them on their site to see if their good or not and put the good ones in the apples

if your fine paying the extra 90% price go ahead but id rather take the dell or 2 of em for more or less the same price. its just like the people who buy pcs just cuz the case looks cool.

Reaction score
I don't think my Dell 2001FP bezel looks bad, it is plastic but still looks nice. It has a USB hub built in and it has a power output for the speaker that clips onto it, I like that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.