MacBook Pro can't connect to wifi networks outside home system

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro and it will only connect to apple wifi. I tried connecting at a hospital and hotel and it would not connect. Shows connection to the wifi itself, but will not show internet service. I have tried various configurations and still nothing. My daughter has a macbook pro as well and hers connects. we tried to compare settings and didn't notice any difference. Any advice for a person who is not savvy in tech jargon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early "09 Macbook Alubody 13" / iPhone 3G 16GB Black
you do know that there are countless networks around designed for (in-building) data transfering,
otherway.. some WIFI networks are free to use, however that doesn't mean that you can connect to internet without password.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a macbook pro and it will only connect to apple wifi. I tried connecting at a hospital and hotel and it would not connect. Shows connection to the wifi itself, but will not show internet service. I have tried various configurations and still nothing. My daughter has a macbook pro as well and hers connects. we tried to compare settings and didn't notice any difference. Any advice for a person who is not savvy in tech jargon?

Apple WiFi? Not sure what you mean here. At the Apple store? At your home? Where?

As for the hospital and hotel, provided those connections are not secured by some form of encryption, you should be able to access the net through them.

Open System Preferences, Network. Highlight the Airport Connection. What are you showing in your "Location" box? If it shows "Automatic" and is still not connecting, that means your location is locked to wherever you were able to connect. Apple WiFi? (You're stuck there.)

Without getting complicated and deleting Airport login info stored in your keychain, the way around that is to create another location. Here's how:

Refer to the same "Location Box": Press the down arrow, select "edit" and enter a new location. (Hospital, hotel, school, whatever) With the new location showing in the box, proceed to setup the new connection. It should bring up the name of the connection which is available (in range). Select it and then select "join". It should work. If the network is encrypted, it will ask for the password or passkey.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.