Why Apple OSX is better than Windows

M

Morrigan

I had a thought and just had to ask everyone here.

Notice how Apple upgrades it's OS with version numbers - i.e OS 10.2, 10.3 etc but Windows tacks on 'Service Packs', letting us know that it was crap to begin with and needs to be serviced.

Is Apple essentially just making service packs or are they REALLY upgrading OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
no, they are really upgrades, often adding features, small ones at times, but still adding features. or improving things that help performance, etc.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Macman said:
no, they are really upgrades, often adding features, small ones at times, but still adding features. or improving things that help performance, etc.

That is something that I like that Apple does; they fix, add features, improve upon things. You don't get that from Microsoft, they just fix security issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
With Apple there are three different things.. security updates, os updates and os upgrades. OS upgrades go from 10.2 to 10.3 to 10.4 etc, while OS Updates go from 10.2 to 10.2.1 to 10.2.2 and so forth, while the security updates does not increment the OS number at all.

OP
K

Kokopelli

If you really feel the need to compare the development cycles of OS X and XP then I would say that the service packs have a corollary with the minor revision numbers and releases of Windows relate to the major veriosn number.

i.e.

Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP <=> OS 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3

XP SP1, SP2 <=> 10.3.1, 10.3.2

There are distinct differences in the devlopment cycle though that make this comparison innacurate. OS X under goes more frequent updates and major releases. Windows releases are less frequent and monolithic in nature. Due to the size and complexity of Windows, a development cycle as rapid as OS X would be ill advised and for all practical purposes unsupportable. OS X on the other hand has a much more constrained set of parameters to deal with and thus the support base is more manageable.

Put another way, Apple has very little hardware and software manufacturers that they need to work with and support so can concentrate on OS Features. Windows on the other hand has a huge base of manufacturers they need to take into account for major releases so must take a more ponderous path. MS has plenty of money and developers to throw at the problem though.

Reaction score
Going from something 10.2->10.3 would be a noticeable upgrade.

However going from something like 10.3.7->10.3.8 would be similar to getting one of Windows Updates, you most likey won't notice a difference before and after.

If you want some actual new stuff from Microsoft for Windows, you have to download it at their site seperate from updates, like the newest version of Media Player or their Anti-SpyWare software. Probably has something to do with the fact that they aren't even allowed to have a media player bundled with their operating system in Europe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
but there are actually updates and fixes in some updates, for example,, I know there were known issue in itunes that came in 10.3.7 and was fixed in 10.3.8. also, fontbook got a few improvements between 10.3.4 and 10.3.5, though its still not what it should be, and not usable for professional font management, or even individual font management outside the default installed fonts.

OP
Z

zap2

the reason os x os better is because of the really upgrade windiws95 looks alot like xp while os 9 is nothing like os x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Os X

I like OS 10 becase it is so user friendly. It also detects your printers and installes them for you. With Windoz it takes forever to set up a printer 'cause you have to go through the stupid install wizzard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
apple has the time to actually make updates to their system, while microsoft is busy fixing holes in its system....

OP
S

sixandout

upgrades or reinstalling

Is so much easier than on a Windows machine. After an upgrade, or reinstall all of my files , file locations, programs, and program settings are exactly the same. I don't have to reconfigure anything again. I don't lose my saved files or other valuable data. Which means a whole lots less downtime. **** getting another computer I can just copy everything over, and be up and running in no time. What an idea keep the operating system seperate from the other software. If the hardrive dies that is another story.

Reaction score
by the title of your post, this is why windows users give mac users a bad name. i recently switched and i'm so tired of the windows vs. mac debate. anytime i hear something about os x it's always that it's better. Yeah i like it over windows but each has it's advantages over the other. people need to quit comparing all the time.

OP
J

Jefe3223

rmhop81 said:
by the title of your post, this is why windows users give mac users a bad name. i recently switched and i'm so tired of the windows vs. mac debate. anytime i hear something about os x it's always that it's better. Yeah i like it over windows but each has it's advantages over the other. people need to quit comparing all the time.

Ya know, they tire me too. I always hear how one is better than the other and suchforth and suchforth. I hate people battling over which is better. This thread isn't one of those that annoy me, however, 'cause most of it is just updating facts. I feel macs are superior. I feel that we could kick their butt, quite quickly if we had to. HOWEVER, people have dedicated their lives to windows and I won't start an argument with them, 'cause they don't play fair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.