• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Express or Pro for editing HDV&HD on imacs?Or 4 HDV/HD should I buy MacPro

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for confusing title - not quite sure what to call this. I've been reading old posts but am still confused as to what to do:

I want to edit video (at the moment HDV, possibly in the future HD) and put it onto dvds for festival submissions, and need a mac to do it on. Im deciding between a Mac Pro (but I suspect its capabilities are more than I really need) and an imac.

Ive seen a second hand imac 20 inch 2.4GHz Intel core 2 duo, 250GB, 1GB (would add more) RAM NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GS 512MB VRAM for £550

or I could get a:

20 inch imac 2.66GHz Intel core 2 duo, with 640GB, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory for £950 with educational discount

From previous posts I get the impression that this is fine for Final Cut Express but not Final Cut Pro. Am I right? If so my question is - is there much difference between express and Pro/Studio? My editing will be quite basic with not many effects (its documentary) - will I miss not having the Final Cut Studio? Can express handle HDV and HD? and will I be able to export it to DVD for cinema viewing with Express? If Express or Pro can only do HDV, that may be fine as I may upgrade when i get to HD, but it would be good to know.

I don't mind it being slow, but dropped frames and stuttering playback will drive me mad.

If these models are not enough I could get the 24 inch imac 2.93GHz intel core 2 duo, 640GB, 4GB RAM and one of the following:
* NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
* NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory
* ATI logo ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory

Will this be sufficient? And if so, which graphics card?

If not, I might as well go Mac Pro, which I know would be the best option , but I feel it might be more than I need. Is It? Its £1400 more than the cheapest imac when you add on a cheap monitor etc.

Thanks for reading. Any ideas/thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.