eMac video playback problem

Reaction score
Tryed watching BBC IPlayer tonight and the video playback is shocking :( it's the same with youtube and any type of video playback. Is there anything i can do to make this better ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not really as the eMac is locked into the GPU, probably ATI Radeon 9000 depending on your eMac specs.

OP
K
Reaction score
Not really as the eMac is locked into the GPU, probably ATI Radeon 9000 depending on your eMac specs.

Thats a shame, my 5 year old windows laptop can run youtube with out a problem :( cant belive my emac cant cope with that :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Kris - you posted about a different eMac issue, the noise from the screen. I checked back to that, and can't find any reference to which model of eMac you have. Can we have those specs please. If it's an earlier eMac, and you've loaded Leopard on to it, it's going to struggle, both with processor speed and graphics card. We'll know better once we know more about your eMac.

Incidentally, in case you're not aware, you can get the eMac specs from the menu bar >blue apple > about this Mac. Or use System Profiler.

Edit: are you in the UK?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
1GHz G4 2GB of ddr ram 160gb hard drive os x 10.5.8

Okay, that should handle YouTube without trouble. I can't test or comment on iPlayer because I'm not in the UK.

It suggests to me that there is a problem either with the graphics card or the monitor.

I recommend that you run a hardware test of your eMac, booting with the Install & Restore Disk 1 (if you have it). Otherwise, run a hardware check as far as it will go using Disk Utility (in Applications).

Lastly, make sure you have the appropriate Flash player version. I say 'appropriate' because sometimes the latest version is not the best.

OP
K
Reaction score
Okay, that should handle YouTube without trouble. I can't test or comment on iPlayer because I'm not in the UK.

It suggests to me that there is a problem either with the graphics card or the monitor.

I recommend that you run a hardware test of your eMac, booting with the Install & Restore Disk 1 (if you have it). Otherwise, run a hardware check as far as it will go using Disk Utility (in Applications).

Lastly, make sure you have the appropriate Flash player version. I say 'appropriate' because sometimes the latest version is not the best.

Thank you i will try all that and see what happens :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you do not have Apple Hardware Test, go to this link and download the eMac version. Drag the .dmg file to the left hand column of Disk utility , pop in a fresh CD and hit burn. You will be able to boot fromn the disc by placing it in the drive, rebooting and holding dopwn 'C" immediately after the chime.

Apple Hardware Test Images

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.