wanting a mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none
i actually do not have a mac. i really want one, but am not completely for sure. i wanted to ask some questions.

1. is the price worth it?
2. laptop with cinema display, or imac?
3. could i maybe get a better deal for one with basically the same specs?
4. is there much of a difference between a 2.66 or a 2.8 prcessor?
5. if i get a laptop macbookpro or macbook?

im sorry if this is the wrong thread for this part of the forums. im new to the forums

thank you

Reaction score
Hi welcome to the forum, to answer your questions...

1. Yes oh yes!!
2. totally up to you... you want mobility, take the laptop. If you don't, the iMac is a beauty.
3. better than what?
4. not much, just the HD and GPU
5. up to you... recommend the Pro

Reaction score
i actually do not have a mac. i really want one, but am not completely for sure. i wanted to ask some questions.

im sorry if this is the wrong thread for this part of the forums. im new to the forums

thank you

1) You betcha ;)
2) If you need a laptop, then get the MacBook Pro; non mobility, iMac
3) Price is price for the same specs at Apple. You won't find a better deal without discounts, see your local Apple store.
4) Not really. There are different hardware configurations however.
5) See number two for my answer on this one.

Reaction score
To answer #1:

I recall that for about a year before I bought mine if I saw someone using a Mac in public (usually in a Starbucks, go figure!) I would ask if they liked it. I always got the same answer: "I love it." Not "It is great" or "Yes I do," but "I love it." I realized pretty quickly I was on to something.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To answer #1:

I recall that for about a year before I bought mine if I saw someone using a Mac in public (usually in a Starbucks, go figure!) I would ask if they liked it. I always got the same answer: "I love it." Not "It is great" or "Yes I do," but "I love it." I realized pretty quickly I was on to something.

A majority of the time when you ask someone this question, of course they're going to say they like it...or give you a positive response. You also don't know if it's their first Macintosh or their 10th! If it's their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. Macintosh...well they're a "Mac Person" of course they like it!

Why else would someone spend $1000-$1500+ on a computer...and then admit to complete strangers..."Yeah...I just spent $1500 bucks on this thing, and I hate it. What a Jack-As* I am for buying it!";)

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
A majority of the time when you ask someone this question, of course they're going to say they like it...or give you a positive response. You also don't know if it's their first Macintosh or their 10th! If it's their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. Macintosh...well they're a "Mac Person" of course they like it!

Why else would someone spend $1000-$1500+ on a computer...and then admit to complete strangers..."Yeah...I just spent $1500 bucks on this thing, and I hate it. What a Jack-As* I am for buying it!";)

- Nick

I know you were joking about the last bit, but my friend does admit that he is a jack bleep for buying an Alienware gaming notebook for well over 2 grand.

I told him not to but he doesn't like to listen to reason. I don't relish in the fact that I could have said, "I told you so."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

1. The best $1K I have ever spent, and probably will ever spend.

2. It's up to you, but if you have the money and want a good sized external monitor for your MB or MBP, go for the cinema display. If not, other monitors can be used. I am using a Dell 1503FP monitor along with my MacBook. If you don't need a laptop (to take with you on trips, etc.) then the iMac will be an excellent choice.

3. As Chris H. said, if you got a discount, you could get a better deal. But don't worry, you won't regret spending that money.

4. Not a noticeable difference when doing simple tasks like browsing or listening to music, but if you are rendering videos or audio you may notice a slight difference.

5. Depends on what you want, or what kind of work you are doing. If you are just wanting a computer to have for light tasks, the MacBook should be fine. But if you want a game or two, or using power intensive software, the MacBook Pro will do.

Good luck on your future purchase!

Reaction score
To answer #1:

No more virus or spies to fight...you can Love it too!:D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know you were joking about the last bit, but my friend does admit that he is a jack bleep for buying an Alienware gaming notebook for well over 2 grand.

I told him not to but he doesn't like to listen to reason. I don't relish in the fact that I could have said, "I told you so."

Yes but remember this was your friend...and since he is your friend you both know each other well enough to be honest with each other. So if one of you makes an expensive purchase that afterwards you feel wasn't such a good idea..you can be honest and admit it to your friend.

But when some stranger in a Starbucks out of the blue asks you how you like your Mac...most people will try to stay positive & say something positive (even if they actually feel differently)...which is the situation I was mainly commenting on above.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

1. Yes, waaaaaaayy yes.
2. I would go with laptop because I know the iMac can have a stronger GPU maybe but I have a MBP and I have been able to run any game so far very flawlessly. It's also portable when you need it to be.
3. Not sure what you mean but there's no deals unless you buy refurb or used.
4. Not really unless you do heavy image editing or video processing maybe you would notice.
5. MacBook Pro, I got one and yes I love it. I wouldn't trade this for any kind of PC.

You will not be disappointed with Apple. They have very good customer service if you ever need to call or go into the Apple Store and their products just work without needing other programs or much configuring. The only thing you need to do when you first start the Mac up is put your name and address and off you go!

P.S. - pigoo3 how/why do you/have you have/had 25 Macs? That's pretty insane to me lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Why 'bleep' on *******? It is simply the male ***, also know simply as a 'jack' - it's got nothing to do with Jack's rear end :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
There you go - the stupid software doesn't have a dictionary either!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
Ditto with the fact that you must decide if you want a desktop or laptop first. Having said that I get tired of hearing the low end ( white macbook) is for light tasks. A laptop with a celeron or athlon chip is for light tasks. The white macbook is a core2 duo. The white macbook will do anything the macbook pro (excluding the ones with dedicated graphics) will and is not for light tasks. Are their reasons to get the pro, yes. Looks, battery life, etc. But I don't believe performance or function is one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Ditto with the fact that you must decide if you want a desktop or laptop first. Having said that I get tired of hearing the low end ( white macbook) is for light tasks. A laptop with a celeron or athlon chip is for light tasks. The white macbook is a core2 duo. The white macbook will do anything the macbook pro (excluding the ones with dedicated graphics) will and is not for light tasks. Are their reasons to get the pro, yes. Looks, battery life, etc. But I don't believe performance or function is one.

Yes, but you forgot where the processor clocks at. a 2.1GHz white MacBook I would bet could not render video/audio and/or handle high graphics settings in games and such as well as a 2.8GHz MacBook Pro. When I play games on my MacBook, it gets laggy near load points and parts where a lot of screen activity is involved, and that's even on the lowest graphics settings, for (almost) an 8 year old game. If processors were all the same, there would be no point in the clock rate. We would still be running 4 MHz processors if that were so ;D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Far too subjective of a question. A BMW is a fine car, but I can get along with a Honda just fine. So, is a BMW worth it to me? No, not at all. That doesn't mean it's not worth it to someone else.

Cinema Displays are way overpriced for what you get, IMHO. As others have said, you need to decide if you want a desktop or a laptop first. If you intend to travel with it at all, go with a laptop. Then get yourself a display from another vendor.

Apple's prices are pretty well fixed, much like the prices of iPods. If you're looking for a deal, check out their refurbished section.

Yes, 140MHz. Practically speaking, for most users, no. It generally takes about a 30% clock rate increase to notice a substantial difference in ordinary tasks. Now, if you're doing 3D rendering and an extra 10-15 seconds of render time is a big deal, that's a different story.

If it fits your budget, go with the MacBook Pro. The screen quality alone is worth the difference in price.

thank you

You're in the right spot. Welcome to the forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.