Monitor Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac, 2 eMacs, G4 400 MHz AGP 10.4.11 OS PPC (The workhorse) and a Dell laptop
Hi Everyone, I noticed that my son's Emac had an electric burning smell so I went to shut it down and a thick red line(with other colors in it) is across the monitor in the center. The redline is jumping up and down. The red line looks like a old glass fuse. I can tell that the computer is running but can't make out anything.

Emac starts up with no probelms and seems to be running okay, but the monitor seems to be dead. Is there a way to hook up an external monitor? Shoud I start looking for a new(used) Mac? :)

Any info would be great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Look along the R side as you face the eMac. Next to the power button is a mini VGA port from which you can operate an external monitor. You'll need an adaptor to connect an old(er) external monitor unless you buy a new (eg. flat screen) one with a mini VGA plug attached.

If the display problem persists, then you may have a damaged graphics card inside the eMac. However, from what you post, I'd suggest a dead monitor.

Economics? Old CRT monitors are very cheap - free even. This is the course you might want to follow in order to retain what's on your son's eMac without going through the hassle of transferring everything to another computer.

Should the external monitor alternative not suit or work, then yes, it's another computer. Repair to or replacement of an eMac monitor is not really a feasible option.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac, 2 eMacs, G4 400 MHz AGP 10.4.11 OS PPC (The workhorse) and a Dell laptop
Thanks for the suggestion. Bought a 19" LCD from Staples ($89) and the adapter cable from Amazon ($11) and have renewed the life of the eMac. One question the eMac monitor is still on and emits a high pitched noise (sounds like an alarm). Is there a way to "turn-off" the monitor without cracking the case? If I have to go in where do I start? I've cracked iMacs before but not eMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Short answer to first question - no. The squeal is from the cathode tube/electron gun assembly, and there's little or nothing you can do apart from disconnecting it. Removing the power supply from the cathode tube would be the simplest, but definitely not the easiest, way.

Getting into the eMac. If you don't already have a technical manual, I've sent you a link via Private Message. Scroll down about 1/4 to iMacs & eMacs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.