Going to buy a 15" Macbook Pro - which one?

Reaction score
Hi

I'm about to venture into the world of the Macbook but want to be sure i'm getting the latest and best for my money. So my questions are, is there really that much difference between the 2.53, 2.66 and 2.8ghz speeds? I'm not bothered about the hard drive size so is it worth paying more for a fraction more Ghz? Are there any new Macbooks coming out soon that would quickly render mine old news? Is there a real recognisable difference in the graphics cards that come with them too?

I've been offered a 2.4ghz model at a good price but is that an older model?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Hello and welcome. My advice is to purchase the MacBook pro with the fastest processor you can afford it and the graphics are the things you can't upgrade later.

Reaction score
Believe me, the MBP will not be "old news" for at least 3 to 4 yrs.
Wichever one you're buying, assuming you'll buy a new one.

The MBP 13" 2.24 GHz has the integrated GPU NVIDIA Geforce 9400M
The MBP 15" 2.53 GHz has the integrated GPU NVIDIA Geforce 9400M + the discrete 9600M GT 256 MB or 2.8 GHz with the discrete 9600M GT 512 MB
The MBP 17" has the integrated GPU NVIDIA Geforce 9400M + the discrete 9600M GT 512 MB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have a 15" mbp with the 2.4...I haven't complained about the speed or ever needed it to be any faster...it's AWESOME!!
If it's in god condition, I would consider it, but if not, I would get the most expensive one you could afford.

Reaction score
Interstingly, I was at BB today in the laptop section (PCs) and the salesperson said to wait for 2 weeks when the new i7 quad core processor laptops come out (in concert with the release of Windows 7). How this may affect you is ... the processor divide between PC and Macbooks will (very soon) become huge. I don't think Apple will be able to disregard these two facts (Win 7 + quad core laptops) without upping the processing power of the current MacBook/MBPs.

Obviously, the Mac leaks have been about an updated 13" MacBook (plastic) and the new iMacs. But, I wouldn't be surprised (heading into the upcoming holiday season in a tough economy) that Apple bumps up performance across the MacBook Pro line also.

Some may say, "well the MBPs are only mid cycle so no changes for a while." But look what Apple did with the current Nano. Already they added an FM tuner and video capture just a few months after release.

I believe, for the first time, that Win 7 + quad core processors pose a serious threat to Macs -- and I don't believe Apple is that shortsighted not to counter this threat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Knowing Microsoft's reputation, along with other windows running computers, I for one wouldn't want to be the first guinea pig for a new i7 with windows 7....they seem to barely take one step at a time successfully, let alone 2! So, serious threat? I don't think so! I'm sure they have new things waiting to come out anyways.
But that's just my opinion

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Knowing Microsoft's reputation, along with other windows running computers, I for one wouldn't want to be the first guinea pig for a new i7 with windows 7....they seem to barely take one step at a time successfully, let alone 2! So, serious threat? I don't think so! I'm sure they have new things waiting to come out anyways.

Well to be fair. The i7 isn't really new. They used the same technology to make it work for mobile devices. Windows 7 is nice and I haven't had any problems with it so far.

Reaction score

I am not saying anything regarding the execution of i7 + Win 7 per se, but the market perception of these new technologies being released together.

Obviously, quad core processors have been in current higher end desktops for some time (many running Win 7 RC), so I would not be terribly worried about those systems "working."

It is the market's perception (meaning sales for the upcoming holiday season) when being bombarded by ads by Intel stating, "the most powerful laptop computers on earth" coupled with the generally well received/anticipated Win 7 launch will require some kind of offensive play by Apple.

If I were Apple I would...
  • introduce the new iMac
  • drop the base MBP 13" model and only offer the 4GB, 2.53GHz MBP 13" for $1,350 - $1,400
  • introduce a redesigned/more powerful 13" MacBook (that will bridge the gap of the base MBP 13" and the 2.53 MBP model)
  • decrease the prices of 15" & 17" MBPs by $100-$300 (depending on configuration)
  • next spring offer quad core MBP models

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You'll never know until they already come out with a laptop that has that processor and windows 7 together....that's why I wrote, "Knowing Microsoft's reputation." You know all the problems they had when microsoft said that their current lineup was "Vista compatible" even though they were missing driver left and right! Until Another company develops their own OS like Apple, to me, the competition will never be the same. Know what I mean??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.