changing admin password

Cam

Reaction score
So this computer Im using in the back and beyond didn't appear with an documentation, passwords etc... I need to install some things.

I've read the 'reset password with osx disks' chat - I don't have the disks.

I've read the 'type things into some command line' solution - if I **** it I'm minus a computer and internet connection and 3 hours from anyone, not an option.

Are there any other ways? Creating another user account presumably needs the admin password yeah?

Dear god, what a nightmare.

Reaction score
You're in a bit of a predicament, and a safe way to do this is not an option according to you (OSX Disks), so you're gonna have to go out on a limb on this one...

To reset your OS X password without an OS X CD you need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

Reboot
Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.
When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you’re good to go again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.