Cloning to another Mac?

Reaction score
Good morning, all.

I've surfed these threads and read the stickies, and still have a question which may seem pretty simple.

I have a new iMac, running Leopard, which is used for light video editing and graphic design.

I plan to buy an identical rig for my home office, and would like to have the identical HD configuration on the new rig.

I've read about CCC and cloning in general, and get the process. Yet, most of the info involves cloning from machine to external hard drive.

Has anyone cloned from machine to machine?

Thanks for any clarity!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
As they are both iMacs of the same type you could put the new iMac in to Target disk mode. You will need a firewire cable for this, but with the new imac showing up as a drive you can simply use Carbon CC to copy the entire set-up over

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
agreed with louishen
also, without a firewire cable, if the machine is identical, you can easily just clone your imac with CCC onto a usb external drive, then clone onto the other imac from the external drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
Huge thanks for the quick replies.

kane: With that method, once I bump the original drive onto the external drive, and then onto the target machine, how do I replace the existing drive on the target with the 'new' drive?

I assume CCC has a mechanism in place?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Gave it a bit of thought, and with identical machines, you can just do a time machine backup.... connect it to your new machine, boot from install disk, choose language and click continue.
Then go to utilities menu and choose restore from time machine backup.
and you're done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gave it a bit of thought, and with identical machines, you can just do a time machine backup.... connect it to your new machine, boot from install disk, choose language and click continue.
Then go to utilities menu and choose restore from time machine backup.
and you're done.

On second thought, that will be a slow process.
So, just use CCC to clone a bootable backup (source is Macintosh HD, Destination is external HD).
Boot the new system off the backup holding the option key and in CCC this time source is the external HD and destination is the Macintosh HD.

*depending on your external HD, you may have to format it first using disk utility - mac os extended (journaled)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.